Tuesday, October 29, 2013

31 Days of Halloween: Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Hello, Bloggers, here is my one review for the day. While yesterday, I reviewed a modern-day classic, an old 80's classic, and an overhyped "found footage" movie, I figured today I would review a film that is either categorized in the vein of horror or in the horror genre entirely. This film is the Oscar-winning classic Silence of the Lambs.

                         Story:
                    Silence of the Lambs is about an FBI agent named Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) who is on the hunt for a killer named Buffalo Bill (Ted Levine) and is aided in her search by an imprisoned serial killer named Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins). While Lecter agrees to aid Starling in her search, he says he'll only do it if she provides him with details of her troubled past.

                   What I Liked About It:
                  The thing that I loved the most about this movie that still sticks with me, and with a lot of other people, is the performance by Anthony Hopkins. He has such a commanding presence, even though he is on the screen from about 15 to 20 minutes. He is menacing even when he has a muzzle to his face. I cannot say enough good things about Anthony Hopkins' performance other than I am glad he won an Oscar for his portrayal. Jodie Foster is equally as good as Clarice Starling, the young and troubled FBI agent who opens up about her past to the most unlikely ally, and the chemistry between her and Hopkins is just astounding. But while Hopkins' character is menacing because of his stillness and smarts, Ted Levine's character, Buffalo Bill who is essentially the true monster of the film, is menacing because of how straight-up insane he is and Ted Levine does an outstanding job at portraying that character. Another thing that I really liked and found interesting was how they use a killer to track one. I don't think that whole plot point had been done before this film came out, so I applaud this movie for creating a unique spin on the whole crime thriller genre.

                    What I Didn't Like About It:
                   Nothing.

                    Consensus:
                  Overall, Silence of the Lambs is a unique masterful classic thriller that stands the test of time thanks to its story and phenomenal performance from Anthony Hopkins. Whether you like crime thrillers or horror films, I would highly recommend this to you as this film offers a mixture of both horror and suspense.

Rating: 5/5

*Note: For tomorrow's review, I will finally review the film that I consider to be the scariest movie ever. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment