Monday, October 28, 2013

31 Days of Halloween: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Hello, Bloggers, sorry for the three-day delay, so I'll do three posts today to make up for it. First off, I will do yet another Retro Review. But, for this one, I will do a horror classic that would introduce us to one of the silver screen's greatest horror legends. That film is of course A Nightmare on Elm Street.

                 Story:
              A Nightmare on Elm Street is about a child murderer named Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) who after being murdered by everyone in his neighborhood for the crimes he committed, is resurrected and seeks revenge by haunting the children of Elm Street when they are at their most vulnerable: When they are asleep.

              What I Liked About It:
            First off, I thought that the absolute best thing about this movie was of course Robert Englund's performance. Englund really brings this character to life and his performance, along with the character's inception, is probably why Freddy Krueger is one of the most iconic and scariest villains to hit the big screen. Not only that, but I also liked how this is a story that hadn't really been done before, not at the time it was released anyway and this idea is only replicated in the film's sequels and its remake. To me, that shows just how timeless this movie is and will probably never be dated. Also, the whole idea of being killed in your sleep is terrifying because when we are sleeping, that is when we are at our most vulnerable and when Wes Craven wrote this movie, he actually read an article about people who have been said to die from their nightmares. When they had done autopsies on those people, there appeared to be nothing wrong with them and that story was the biggest inspiration for Craven to write his.

             What I Didn't Like About It:
            Nothing.
 
             Consensus:
            Overall, A Nightmare on Elm Street is a bone-chilling masterpiece that is sure to scare the sleep out of you. Believe me when I tell you, after I first saw this movie, I myself had some trouble sleeping afterwards. But if you like slasher or horror films in general, and you want something original and old-fashioned, then I would highly recommend this one as it's quite a classic.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment