Friday, October 25, 2013

31 Days of Halloween: Black Christmas (1974)

Hello, Bloggers, for today's review, I decided to do a semi-crossover and review a horror film during my 31 Days of Halloween segment that is set during the magical time of year with jingle bells and decorates trees. That time of year is of course Christmas, and this review is for the underrated slasher gem known as Black Christmas.

                         Story:
                       Black Christmas is about a group of sorority girls who stay at their sorority house over Christmas break. However, a killer that is on a loose makes his way to the house and hides in closet. He then dispatches the girls one by one in a film that is a sleigh ride from hell.

                        What I Liked About It:
                       Now, the thing that I liked the most was how (*possible spoiler alert*) you never know who the killer is, nor do you see his face. Normally, whenever we see a horror movie killer on screen and their motivations aren't revealed, nor is their identity, it doesn't make them as scary. But strangely the case is different here. The mystery surrounding this killer makes him scarier. His face is even always hidden in the shadows. Not only does that add to the creepy factor, but the fact that this movie is set on Christmastime does as well. Aside from trying to survive mobs of people doing their Christmas shopping at the shopping mall, there certainly isn't much to be scared about Christmas. But, setting this movie during the most joyous time of the year definitely made it a tad scarier than it already was, and trust me, this movie is pretty f'in scary. I mean, after the first time I saw it, I had a bit of trouble going to sleep a few nights after because of a certain scene that I won't give away. I want you to see the film for yourself.

                       What I Didn't Like About It:
                      Nothing.

                       Consensus:
                      Overall, Black Christmas is a slasher film more chilling than the blistering winter cold. If you like slasher films and classic horror films, I would definitely give this a watch. Although, if you are hesitant about watching a horror film set during Christmastime, I would understand that. I mean, it doesn't bother me because I know this film is just a piece of fiction, even though something like the events depicted in the film can happen in real life, I get that some might not be comfortable with the film's premise. But if it doesn't bother you, then I would still say give this a watch.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment