Tuesday, October 1, 2013

31 Days Of Halloween: The Blair Witch Project (1999)


Hello, Bloggers, welcome to the first review of my month-long segment known as 31 Days Of Halloween, where I do a review or list or topic of the day each day that pertains to horror movies in honor of the special holiday this month that is of course Halloween. I figured I'd start off with a horror film that I disliked at first but after I gave it a second try, I grew to love it and appreciate it more and that film is the 1999 indie smash hit The Blair Witch Project.

                                   Story:
                              The Blair Witch Project is about three filmmakers who head to the woods of Burkittsville, Maryland, where they go on the search for a fictitious witch. While on their search, they end up missing and scared for their lives.

                                 What I Liked About It:
                             What I absolutely loved about this film is the simplicity of it. The film shows the three filmmakers scared for their lives and leaves everything to the imagination, mostly the witch of the title or whether or not you think there really is a witch. The horror that takes place is very psychological as you create it in your mind. Also, the film uses little tricks like strange voodoo dolls being put up on trees and the characters waking up to find piles of rocks and sticks outside their tents to scare the audience as both tricks show how our main characters are being watched and hunted, and they are in my opinion, the scariest scenes in the film because of that. Most people would say that the scariest scene in this film is the famous video confession scene when the girl cries and shows how scared she is. To me, this film shows just how amazing it is what you can do with a film that has such a low budget, and this film's budget was $22,500.

                                 What I Didn't Like About It:
                             At first, when I didn't like was how I thought nothing was happening, but to be fair, when I first saw this movie, I kept fast forwarding through it, so that's probably why I didn't enjoy this film before. But, now that I've seen the whole thing, I've grown to appreciate it more.

                                Consensus:
                          Overall, The Blair Witch Project is a shocking horror film yet very subtle and works because of the simplicity of it. This is probably one of the most polarizing horror films out there, and I can see why as some probably think it's just three people wandering around the words and cursing at each other, but while I respect their opinion, I think it's more than that.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment