Thursday, October 24, 2013

31 Days of Halloween: Night of the Living Dead (1968)


Hello, Bloggers, here is my one and only review for the day. Now that I have finally done 23 posts to keep up with the past 23 days of October, I am now able to do one review or top ten list or whatnot each day from now on. That is, if I don't skip a day. Anyways, here is my review of the timeless classic film that revolutionized the zombie genre. That film is the 1968 film Night of the Living Dead.

                                      Story:
                        Night of the Living Dead is about a group of strangers who are held up together in an isolated farmhouse out in Pennsylvania and are surrounded by a bunch of flesh-eating zombies who keep trying to make their way into the farmhouse.

                        What I Liked About It:
                       What I thought was very well-done was how the film uses zombies as a metaphor for what we of society do to ourselves. Mainly, feeding off of each other to sustain ourselves as individuals. Only here, the zombies are literally feeding off of human beings. So, I thought it was amazing how this film works as not only a terrifying horror film but a social commentary as well. I also liked the film's isolated setting, which adds to the creepy factor because of the idea of being in a strange house in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by monstrous creatures from the outside. Oddly enough, and call me crazy, but after I watched this movie, it now makes me want to live in rural Pennsylvania.

                       Also, much like The Evil Dead, this movie shows how such effective scares can come from such a little budget. This movie was made for about $114,000 and yet for such a low budget, it became such a huge success. Not just financially, but it became a classic that would serve as a template for many zombie films to come and director George Romero would make this film the first in his "Living Dead" trilogy, with the other two movies being Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.

                       What I Didn't Like About It:
                      Nothing.

                       Consensus:
                      Overall, Night of the Living Dead is a chilling and timeless zombie flick that also serves as social commentary for what we as a society do to ourselves and it rightfully earns its place in the National Film Registry. If you like zombie movies, or want a classic to watch on Halloween, then I would highly recommend this film.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment