Monday, October 28, 2013

31 Days of Halloween: Paranormal Activity (2009)

Hello, Bloggers, here is my second review of the day, and this one is for the only bad movie that I will review this month. This is a film that has received constant praise and hype, yet when I saw this in the theaters, I was all "hyped" up and ready to get the hell out of the theatre because I found it to be was so dull. That film is Paranormal Activity.

                       Story:
                   Paranormal Activity is about a couple who look to record any supernatural activity that the woman in the couple, Katie, believes to be happening. But eventually they get more than they bargained for once this supernatural force takes a big toll on them.

                   What I Liked About It:
                  The scene at the end where the husband is thrown at the camera. The only time I even jolted during this entire movie.

                   What I Didn't Like About It:
                  Now, what I hated so much about this movie was how it's just a big fat nothing. I mean, this supernatural entity scares these two people by mainly leaving footprints, moving sheets, and shutting and opening doors. To me, that is not scary. Those aren't even subtle scares. You see, in The Blair Witch Project, that film uses subtle scares. For example, our main characters in Blair Witch find strange voodoo dolls hanging all over the trees and would wake up to find piles of sticks and rocks outside their tents. Those to me are scary tricks because they create the sense that these characters are being watched. But, in Paranormal Activity, this paranormal entity gives us no reason to be scared. I mean, when this film first came out, I heard that people had trouble sleeping and there is one person I know who said his friend kept sitting on a chair after he saw it and couldn't go to sleep because he was so scared. But, when I saw this movie, I was questioning what people found to be so terrifying. If you want to watch a found footage movie that is terrifying, I would HIGHLY recommend the Spanish horror film [REC]. That film is freaking scary. Heck, I've seen movies that aren't even categorized as horror films that are scarier than this.

                 Consensus:
                Overall, Paranormal Activity is a boring mess that is as suspenseful as a tortoise race and less frightening than a pop quiz in science class. Please do not listen to all the hype surrounding this movie. There are far better movies to be scared by. A bunch of them which I have reviewed I have recommended. But not this one.

Rating: 0.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment