Tuesday, October 22, 2013

31 Days Of Halloween: The Lost Boys (1987)

Hello, Bloggers, here is my second and final review of the day, and for this review, I decided I'd review another vampire movie that is my favorite vampire movie to date. That film is the 1987 classic The Lost Boys.

                             Story:
                      The Lost Boys is about two brothers named Michael and Sam (Jason Patric and Corey Haim) who move with their mother (Dianne Weist) from Arizona to California. But in their new town, they begin to realize that the new town they are in has a group of vampires and once Michael hangs out with them, he slowly starts to become a vampire himself. Sam then enlists the help of two vampire hunters known as the Frog Brothers to try to save his brother from becoming an undead bloodsucker.

                     What I Liked About It:
                    Even though I enjoyed the film as a whole, one thing that I liked was how because it's essentially a horror-comedy, the moments that are scary are absolutely terrifying and the moments that are funny are pretty funny. In my opinion, one of the scariest things about this film is the scenes where the vampires are flying and picking off their victims. They are shot from the point of view of the vampires while they are in the air and the last time I saw this film, during those scenes, I was given the feeling that they were coming right at me. In fact, there were a few times a long time ago where I would play basketball at nighttime and I would worry that there would be some flying creature watching me and trying to come after me, and I feel that is because of this movie. Plus, I thought Kiefer Sutherland, who portrays the vampire group's leader, David, gave a very menacing and chilling performance, and the makeup effects for the vampires were pretty freaky. But what makes it funny as well as scary is how when Michael starts transforming into a vampire, both he and Sam hilariously play off each other. For example, there is one scene where Michael is floating outside Sam's window and Sam yells that Michael is a vampire which he denies, but Sam then asks "Then what are you, some flying nun?!", and I thought that was pretty funny.

                   
                     What I Didn't Like About It:
                    Nothing.

                     Consensus:
                    Overall, The Lost Boys is a chilling yet comedic film that is in my opinion the best entry in the vampire genre, as it is easily my favorite vampire movie. This one I would highly recommend whether you like vampire movies or even horror movies in general. If you want a good one to watch on Halloween, I would say put this on your list.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment