Monday, October 21, 2013

31 Days Of Halloween: Beetlejuice (1988)

Hello, Bloggers, sorry about the two-day delay, I've been pretty out and about this weekend, so I've been occupied. I will definitely do two reviews today, and depending on how occupied I get with homework and watching a movie I just rented, a few more. So it all depends on that. Anyways, my first review is for another favorite film of mine. This is the second Tim Burton movie that I will review and that film is Beetlejuice.

                                   Story:
                      Beetlejuice is about a couple named Adam and Barbara Maitland (Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis) who are now ghosts in their own house. Now, there is a new family that moved into their own house, which includes a somewhat troubled girl named Lydia (Winona Ryder) who is the only one that can see Adam and Barbara. Once Adam and Barbara decide to scare the new family away, they at first seek the help of a self-proclaimed "bio-exorcist" named Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) who after the Maitlands decide to reject his help, uses a few scare tactics up his sleeve.

                       What I Liked About It:
                     One thing that I really liked was how it offers a potent mix of both horror and comedy. It has some scary moments and even creative-looking monsters, thanks to Tim Burton's imaginative visual eye, but there is also plenty of humor to be found. But it even has some dramatic elements pushing the story forward. For example, Lydia feels alienated and once she gets closer with Adam and Barbara, she wants to be "on the other side" with them because she thinks it'll be easier for her. However, she realizes being dead doesn't make things easier, no matter how mundane or hard being alive may be. I also liked the dynamite performance from Michael Keaton. He pulls off a character that is witty, diabolical, and devious, and he is SO much fun to watch. All the other actors do a fine job as well.

                      What I Didn't Like About It:
                     Nothing.

                      Consensus:
                     Overall, Beetlejuice is a superb and visually-stunning masterpiece that offers a potent mix of horror, comedy, and drama, as well as great performances from the cast. If you are a big Tim Burton fan, or if you love horror-comedies, then you will definitely love this movie. I would definitely recommend this one for Halloween. Not just because it's one of my favorite movies, but I feel it is a good film to watch on Halloween.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment