Monday, October 28, 2013

31 Days of Halloween: 28 Days Later...(2003)

Hello, Bloggers, here is my third and final review of the day. Now that I just got the crapstorm that is Paranormal Activity out of the way, here is my review of a modern day classic that I would say is one of the best horror movies to come out in recent memory. That film is 28 Days Later.

                           Story:
                     28 Days Later... is set in a post-apocalyptic London. Jim (Cillian Murphy) wakes up from a hospital and leaves to find nobody outside with him. However, he meets a small group of survivors and together, they try to survive the rest of the population who have been infected by a rage-filled virus that can infect you in a matter of seconds.

                     What I Liked About It:
                    First off, I really liked how this is probably the first movie to have the idea to make zombies run really fast. Now, the zombies in the film may not technically count as zombies because they are not undead like zombies typically are, but I'm still going to count them as zombies. Normally, zombies are very slow and stupid and have a hunger for flesh, but here, they are extremely fast and angry and you just hope that they don't even get blood on you because not only will their bite infect you, but even a drop of their blood in your mouth or an open wound can instantly infect you as well. So, I applaud the makers of this movie for creating such a unique twist on the zombie genre and for creating a scenario that could possibly happen if we really mess with science.
                    
                    Another thing that I really liked was how in the opening scene where Jim is in London and finds nobody or nothing outside with him, they made it look like it was isolated and desolate because they filmed the scene before sunrise on Sundays and would have 45 minutes after dawn to shoot at locations without traffic. I thought it was amazing because it makes it look like the film is a grand scale film but it only has a smaller $5 million dollar budget. Much like Evil Dead, Blair Witch Project and Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later... is one of those movies that proves just how less is more and I applaud it for that.

                    What I Didn't Like About It:
                    Nothing.

                    Consensus:
                   Overall, 28 Days Later... is a modern-day horror classic that revolutionizes the zombie genre. It's terrifying, even action-packed, and I certainly applaud it for being yet another successful film that proves just how less is more. If you like horror movies, zombie movies especially, I would say go see it because this is one not to be missed.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment