Monday, October 7, 2013

31 Days Of Halloween: Rosemary's Baby (1968)


Hello, Bloggers, I forgot to do a review yesterday, so I'm making up for that by doing two in one day. For the first review, I will do a Retro Review of an old classic that is one of the best horror movies of all time, and that is Rosemary's Baby.

                                                 Story:
                                   Rosemary's Baby is about a young couple living in New York named Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse (Mia Farrow and John Cassavetes), who move into a new brownstone apartment, and things seem perfect at first. However, that is until Rosemary suddenly gets pregnant, and Guy becomes more involved with the strange neighbors and they seem a little too interested in the baby.

                                   What I Liked About It:
                                  Now, what I thought was so scary about this film is because it deals with Satanism and devil worshippers, it takes those two elements and puts them in a realistic setting. The neighbors, who (*possible spoiler alert*) may or may not be devil worshippers, look and act like normal people and seem harmless. In my opinion, that is frightening. Now, what surprised me about this film is that for the most part, it is very suspenseful. It is still a great scary movie, but it is also a good mysterious thriller, and I like that a lot about this film. I also liked the performances from the cast. Mia Farrow does an amazing job as Rosemary and if it were up to me, I would've definitely nominated her for an Oscar for her performance. She was just that good. Luckily, Ruth Gordon, who plays Rosemary's sweet-natured yet enigmatic neighbor Minnie Castevet, won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her great performance. Plus, the direction from Roman Polanski is also outstanding. I thought the scene that was the most well-directed was the film's famous scene where Rosemary gets drugged and raped by the Devil. That scene is very dream-like and is shot like Rosemary is hallucinating it.

                                  What I Didn't Like About It:
                                 Nothing.

                                  Consensus:
                                Overall, Rosemary's Baby is a well-done classic that works as both a suspenseful thriller and a subtle yet chilling yet horror film. If anyone were to do a horror film about Satanism or the Devil, they could not only look to The Exorcist, but look at this film or inspiration as well.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment