Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review: The Conjuring



                                 'The Conjuring': An Intense Exercise In Paranormal Horror


                     While I do love horror films, if there is any one "sub-genre" that isn't exactly my forte, it's haunted house movies. They always have me asking "Why can't they just get out of that house?", but The Conjuring solves that problem and gives a realistic insight as to why the frightened family can't leave.

                     Story:
                    The Conjuring is based on a true story about real-life paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga) whose latest case involves a family that is haunted a malevolent spirit which threatens not only them, but eventually the lives of the Warrens as well.

                     What I Liked About It:
                    Like I said, I liked how the film answers the question of "Why can't that family just get out of that house?". I don't want to give away any further details because I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, so I'll just leave it at that. I also liked the film's use of atmosphere. The house that the family lives in just reeks of dread, as there are decrepit walls, cobwebs in the basement, creaking doors, and an isolated setting, which just add to the creep factor. You can tell that the makers of this film have a love for 70's horror because this movie is like a love letter to horror movies from that time. The film also does something that not all horror films can do, which is scare me within the first few minutes.

                     What I Didn't Like About It:
                     Nothing.

                     Consensus:
                    Overall, The Conjuring is a chilling atmospheric exercise in haunted house horror that gives a nostalgic vibe. It's scary from start to finish, has great performances from the cast, especially from Wilson and Farmiga, and despite its R-rating, is hardly gruesome and receives its rating based on its scare factor, which should say a lot about how scary it is.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment