Monday, July 22, 2013

Review: Beautiful Creatures


                                                A Rather 'Beautiful' Supernatural Love Story

                With the Twilight series over (thankfully), there comes the release of another supernatural love story known as Beautiful Creatures. However, while I found Beautiful Creatures to be surprisingly great, I find it pretty sad how this film might not get a sequel, but Twilight, which I thought was very lackluster, got to have sequels. *Note: I will draw comparisons between Beautiful Creatures and Twilight in a later article.

                Story:
              Beautiful Creatures is set in a small Southern town known as Gatlin where a lonely high school boy named Ethan (Alden Ehrenreich) falls for the mysterious new girl named Lena (Alice Englert) who happens to be a witch, or "caster". Lena is approaching her sixteenth birthday and must choose to become "claimed" as either light or dark. Her decision is being influenced by her protective uncle Macon (Jeremy Irons) and her evil mother Serafina (Emma Thompson) who are both fighting for control over her.

              What I Liked About It:
           One thing that I absolutely loved about this film was the delightful chemistry between Alden Ehernreich and Alice Englert, and I especially loved their performances. Alden Ehrenreich gives a very earnest performance that has you really rooting for his good-natured character who despite the obstacles he goes through that are trying to keep him apart from his loved one, still goes after her and makes for a more sympathetic character than Edward Cullen. Alice Englert also gives a solid performance as Lena, who is very conflicted yet fierce and is a character that is among the likes of Katniss from The Hunger Games and Hermione from Harry Potter in terms of her ferocity. The supporting actors also do a fine job and looked like they were having fun in their respective performances. Emma Thompson does a fine job as the film's villain Serafina and Jeremy Irons does a very good job as well. Emmy Rossum, who plays Lena's evil cousin Ridley, delivers a comically evil performance and stole every scene she was in.

            Another thing I liked was the special effects and how they weren't overused yet they weren't underused. Plus, the story was very full-fledged and wasn't too confusing.

           What I Didn't Like About It:
           Honestly, nothing.

           Consensus:
          Overall, Beautiful Creatures is a very solid supernatural pic that I surprisingly loved. The story was impressive, the chemistry between the two lead actors was fun to watch, the acting was solid, and the special effects were a visual treat. It saddens me how this film will more than likely not get a sequel as I really enjoyed it and Twilight, which I despise, did get sequels, but as I said, I'll vent my feelings about that in a future post.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment