Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Trailer Talk #9: Ender's Game, Escape Plan, Rush, Saving Mr. Banks, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Only God Forgives


Hello Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk. I had just seen Red 2, which I will do a review of later, and I have four previews that I saw when I went to go see it and two that I have watched online. As always, I will start with the films I saw in theaters. Let's get started:


Ender's Game: First up is the trailer for Ender's Game, the upcoming adaptation of a YA book series starring Harrison Ford, Viola Davis, and Ben Kingsley. Now before I heard of this film, I hadn't even heard of the books that this film is based on, but despite the outstanding special effects shown in the trailer, I wasn't too enthralled, surprisingly. Who knows why, but this movie just seems "whatever". I mean it's got a great cast, but it's not something I'd rush and see in theaters.

Escape Plan: Next up is the trailer for the action pic Escape Plan starring Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger. This looks to be another action film that has a simple plot and blow-em-up action scenes, and will probably feature Schwarzenegger shouting one-liners. But to be fair, it's not meant to make anyone's Oscar list, it just looks like a simple "turn your brain off" action flick and nothing more. I still won't see it.

Rush: Next is the trailer for Rush, starring Chris Hemsworth and Olivia Wilde, and is directed by Ron Howard. Now, what's weird about seeing this trailer was that it's look intriguing yet it doesn't seem like something I would see in theaters. Because it's about race car driving, I'm sure the race car driving scenes will be intense, but I'll probably catch it when it comes out on TV or DVD if I decide not to see it in theaters.

Saving Mr. Banks: Next up is the trailer for Saving Mr. Banks, starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks. Now, on my Oscar predictions, I said that this film might make people's Oscar list and looking at the trailer makes me believe it will. It's got the amazing Emma Thompson and everything Tom Hanks touches turns to gold, so I will try and see this when it comes out in theaters. Tom Hanks also has Captain Phillips, but I honestly would rather see this.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: Normally, I would review one trailer per film but Catching Fire gets a pass because it claims the title of my most anticipated movie this year. Now, watching the newest trailer gets me even more excited than I already am and I think this might be better than the first one. Mainly because the special effects look better and the sets are more lavish and colorful. Plus, the fact that Catching Fire is my favorite book in the trilogy helps. Seeing it in theaters and possibly getting my ticket early before it comes out.

Only God Forgives: Lastly, is the trailer for Only God Forgives starring Ryan Gosling and Kirstin Scott Thomas. When I watched the trailer for this, I loved its lavish use of color and with its use, I feel that the director, Nicolas Winding Refn, is probably going for the "mise en scene" technique with his direction. *Note: For those of you who don't know, "mise en scene" means to use visuals (color, sets, lighting, acting, etc.) to tell a film's story. It's weird how a film's use of color makes we want to see it, but it does and I hope to see it, whether it comes out in theaters or on DVD.

So, that was episode #9 of Trailer Talk, and I will do another episode soon, whether I see more trailers online or go to the movies and see some trailers. Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment