Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Review: Pitch Perfect



                                      A Near-'Perfect' Musical Pic That Hits Each Note Well


                     I have a feeling that some will be surprised that I saw this, but honestly, I am quite glad I did because Pitch Perfect is not only a movie that has fun musical numbers and makes me want to sing in an a capella group, but it also gives a nice meaningful message towards the end.

                     Story:
                    Pitch Perfect is about a college freshman named Beca (Anna Kendrick) who is coerced into joining the school's all-girls a capella group known as the Barden Bellas. When she meets Jesse (Skylar Astin), a male member of her group's rival all-male a capella group known as the Treblemakers, she begins to have a new perspective and tries to breathe new life into the Bellas as they pursue a national title.

                   What I Liked About It:
                  One thing that I liked was the development of the characters and their personalities. You have Beca, the introvert who at first has no interest in college life but slowly comes out of her shell. Then you have the other members of her group; Aubrey, the group's leader who sticks with the same routine and avoids taking risks, Chloe, the group's other leader who is much more civil and despite her "nodes" in her throat, continues to sing, Fat Amy, the group's eccentric "wild card", Stacie, the sexual member of the group, Lilly, who speaks too quietly to be heard, and Cynthia-Rose, the lesbian member of the group with a gambling problem. Plus, there is Bumper, the leader of the Treblemakers who is very arrogant and egocentric, and Jesse, who is much more outgoing and has a love for movies. I loved how the characters were developed because I feel that there is a character that at least one person can relate to.

                  Another thing I liked was the message that the film delivers at the very end, which deals with movies in general, and how they are not necessarily about the ending, but the character's journeys and that is something Beca learns towards the end. I won't give too much away, so I'll just leave it at that.

                What I Didn't Like About It:
                Now, my one problem with this movie was how the dialogue was a little cheesy, because of how people would start off words by saying "Aca", like "aca-awkward" or "aca-cuse me". Other than that, there's nothing I hate about this film.

                Consensus:
               Overall, Pitch Perfect is a fun musical romp that very pleasantly surprised me. It's funny, well-acted, has colorful characters and catchy musical numbers. It may not be a perfect movie (pun intended), but it is a great time to sit through.

Rating: 4.5/5
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment