Friday, July 5, 2013

Trailer Talk #8: Thanks For Sharing, The Counselor, Fruitvale Station, The Wolverine, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, Adore


Hello, Bloggers, here is another episode of Trailer Talk. It's been a little while since I did an episode so that's why I figured I'd reflect on a few trailers that I've viewed and do another one. Here we go:

Thanks For Sharing: First up is the trailer for the upcoming indie flick Thanks For Sharing starring Mark Ruffalo and Gwyneth Paltrow. Now when I first heard about this film, I knew Ruffalo and Paltrow were starring in it but I didn't know much about the plot until the trailer came out. But I have to say, after watching the trailer for this film, it really makes we want to see it. Plus, it's got an eclectic group of supporting actors, including Tim Robbins, Alecia "Pink" Moore, Carol Kane, and Patrick Fugit from Almost Famous. Hopefully it plays in the indie theater nearest me because I would love to see this.

The Counselor: Next up is the teaser trailer for my second most anticipated movie this year right behind The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and that is The Counselor. Honestly, right before the trailer for this movie came out, my anticipation for the trailer to come out was almost aching because it's got an amazing cast that includes Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Javier Bardem, Cameron Diaz, and Penelope Cruz, and it has an intriguing plot. Plus, this movie is getting plenty of awards hype, so that doesn't hurt. No doubt I am seeing this in theaters.

Fruitvale Station: Next is the trailer for the Sundance hit Fruitvale Station. Because this film was picked up by the Weinstein brothers, I can honestly say that those two have good taste in films, as they have picked up films like Silver Linings Playbook and The Master in the past, and this film shows a lot of promise and like The Counselor, this film is already getting plenty of awards hype. It comes out next Friday and is a limited release, but hopefully I'll get the chance to see it.

The Wolverine: Next up is the trailer for the upcoming blockbuster The Wolverine starring Hugh Jackman as the titular character. Now, I am a huge X-Men fan and I have always loved Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine. But for some reason, this film isn't drawing me in as much as I thought it would. Maybe it's because I'm more excited for X-Men: Days of Future Past coming out next year or because I wasn't too crazy about X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Who knows if I'll have a change of heart and see it in theaters by the time this film comes out, but if I don't, I'll still watch it when it comes out on TV or rent it.

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones: Next up, we have the trailer for another film based on another young adult book franchise, and that is The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. Now, in recent years, we have seen a trend in Hollywood where they decide to adapt young adult book series' and turn them into movie franchises. Some end up like Twilight and The Hunger Games and have the franchise continue after the first film is a success, or they end up like Beautiful Creatures and Eragon, whereas their chances of spawning sequels fall flat, and who knows how this or the upcoming adaptation Divergent will play out. Now this film has some pretty slick-looking special effects, but what's making me skeptical about seeing it is the fact that it seems to be another supernatural love story, and we've seen that before. I'm not dead set on seeing this in theaters, but if I don't, I won't be crushed.

Adore: Lastly, is the trailer for the upcoming indie pic Adore (originally titled Two Lovers) starring Naomi Watts and Robin Wright. Now, when I first heard about this film, it made its premiere at Sundance, and when I saw what it was about, I thought it was interesting as it deals with two life-long best friends who have affairs with each other's sons. While I'm not much of a love story guy, I don't mind love stories that break the mold so to speak and go beyond showcasing two young good-looking people who just happen to fall in love, so this one has me intrigued. I'm not sure how big of a release this film will get, so who knows if I'll see it in theaters.

So, that was episode #8 of Trailer Talk, and episode #9 will come once I either see my next film or if I watch some new trailers online, but until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment