Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review: The Iron Lady



                              Modest Tale Of A Woman Who Ruled A Country With An 'Iron' Fist

              Now, before I heard of this movie, I actually never heard of Margaret Thatcher. But from my understanding, she was a very controversial figure, and this film provides an insight as to why and does a marginally good attempt at it.

              Story:
            The Iron Lady is about Margaret Thatcher (Meryl Streep) as she talks to the ghost of her deceased husband Denis (Jim Broadbent) and tries to get over her grief for his death while scenes of her past life and rise to power are shown.

              What I Liked About It:
            Now, first and foremost, the thing that I loved the most about this film was Meryl Streep's performance. When you watch this film, you don't feel that you are watching an actress, you feel like you are watching Margaret Thatcher as she completely transforms herself in the role, both physically and mentally. She really saves the film and is its high point.

              What I Didn't Like About It:
            While I loved Meryl Streep's performance and thought it was the film's saving grace, there were things that I didn't like about this film. I thought the film was too jumpy, when it was going back and forth between the past and present scenes, and while the scenes with the elderly Margaret Thatcher talking to the ghost of her husband were touchingly sad, I didn't feel they were overly necessary. I feel that if they were to portray this chronologically it would've worked much better.

              Consensus:
            Overall, The Iron Lady is an adequate biopic that works thanks to the fantastic performance from the chameleonic Meryl Streep. Without her, the film could've easily been slightly below average, so I thank her for that.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment