Thursday, June 26, 2014

Trailer Talk #17: The Good Lie, Fury, Frank, The Judge, Birdman, Kill The Messenger

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk. For today's episode, I will discuss slightly smaller films, some of which are potential Oscar contenders being released at the end of this year. Let's take a look:

The Good Lie: First up is the trailer for The Good Lie starring Reese Witherspoon. Now, I'll start off by saying that it looks like Reese Witherspoon might be having a little "McConaissance" of her own this year to try and recapture her former Oscar glory after her Best Actress win back in 2006 for Walk The Line. She might be successful since she has a biopic (Wild), a film by a prestigious director (Inherent Vice), a "white savior" film (The Good Lie), and is even producing a potential Oscar contender (Gone Girl). But onto The Good Lie. I have read that some people feel like this film might just be The Blind Side 2.0, and from the trailer, I can definitely see why. The trailer looks similar and the film itself is even made the executive producer of The Blind Side. Unlike some, I actually really liked The Blind Side but because this film might be one of those "been there, done that" type deals, I think I'm going to skip this one.


Fury: Next is the upcoming Oscar contender Fury starring Brad Pitt. Now, before I saw the trailer, I wasn't too crazy about seeing the film, but after watching the trailer, my opinion might just change. I have become quite a Brad Pitt fan over the years, so he is quite a selling point for me, as well as co-star Logan Lerman (Perks of Being A Wallflower, Percy Jackson movies). Plus, it looks like it might have a different feel from other WWII movies like Saving Private Ryan. Those kind of films tend to do pretty well in the awards circuit and I certainly got no issue with them, as long as they variate themselves from each other. I don't usually go see war films in theaters, but with this one, I just might.


Frank: Next up is the indie pic Frank starring Michael Fassbender. Now, this one looks like a change of pace for Michael Fassbender as this film is more comedic territory. But, this transition looks like it'll pay off handsomely for the Fass as it looks pretty funny. My favorite part in the trailer was when he started singing his happy song at the very end. Now, I would imagine some females would probably skip this film since the very handsome Fassbender doesn't show his face. But, if this film happens to maybe pop up online, I'll give it a watch because I do want to see this.


The Judge: Next is the upcoming comedy-drama The Judge starring Robert Downey, Jr. and Robert Duvall. Now, when I started my Oscar coverage not too long ago, I made a prediction that this film might be a potential Oscar contender and judging by the trailer, it might just be. One reason is its fall release date as well as the cast behind it that includes RDJ, Robert Duvall, Billy Bob Thornton, and Vera Farmiga. But after watching the trailer, I think the film does have some promise. I am quite a RDJ fan, so he is a selling point for me. Plus, the film looks funny yet dramatic without cheap sentiment and that is one thing I dislike about dramas, just to throw that out there. But, I may check this one out in theaters.


Birdman: Next up is another Oscar contender called Birdman starring Michael Keaton. Now, before the trailer came out, I thought the film seemed pretty interesting. But after watching the trailer, I am a little unsure of what to make of it. I mean, the cast is spectacular (Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts, Amy Ryan, Zach Galifianakis), but I'm not sure, I might have to wait for a second trailer. Normally with a cast like this, I'd say "yes" in a heartbeat, but for now, I'm not sure.


Kill The Messenger: Finally is the film Kill The Messenger starring Jeremy Renner. Now, this film deals with the kind of investigative journalism we've seen in Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and All The President's Men, but I love films like those. I like the kind of films that deal with going on a quest for the truth even when there are people telling you to just let it go and keep quiet. I find them quite exciting. Now, this film doesn't really look like one of those to rush out and see in theaters despite some of the action. But, this is one I do want to see nevertheless. It does have Jeremy Renner who I am quite a fan of and I am quite pleased to see that despite going commercial by doing films like The Avengers and The Bourne Legacy, he has still retained his artistry by doing films like this.


So, that was episode 17 of Trailer Talk. As always, my next episode will come when I have seen a new film in theaters or watched a bunch of trailers online. Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment