Friday, June 20, 2014

4th Annual Critics' Choice TV Awards Reactions

Hello, Bloggers, the Critics' Choice TV Awards aired last night and I figured after my predictions were made and the winners were announced, I would announce my reactions. Let's take a look:

First off, I'll go into the wins I was excited about. Breaking Bad won Best TV Series- Drama and Best Supporting Actor for Aaron Paul, which I got right, along with odds-on favorite Matthew McConaughey winning Best Actor in a TV Series- Drama. Plus, The Normal Heart won Best TV Movie and Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries/TV Movie for Matt Bomer, which I was really excited about and I am really rooting for The Normal Heart to really make an impression on the road to the Emmys or even the Globes next year.

Next, I'll get into the surprises. First off, odds-on favorite Cicely Tyson lost Best Actress in a Miniseries/TV Movie to Jessica Lange for American Horror Story: Coven. I like Lange on AHS, so I wasn't too upset about my prediction being wrong. Plus, it was a good night for Ryan Murphy, I know that. For those of you who don't know, he is the producer of shows like Glee, AHS, Nip/Tuck, and even The Normal Heart. He won a special award called the Louis XIII Genius Award for his excellence in television and versatility in terms of the different shows he produced. Plus, not only did The Normal Heart win a few awards, but one of his Normal Heart actors, Jim Parsons, won Best Actor in a Comedy Series for The Big Bang Theory, upsetting frontrunner Louis CK for Louie. I actually really liked Parsons' speech because he seemed genuinely surprised since he apparently didn't think he was going to win. Another surprise was Tatiana Maslany winning Best Actress in a TV Series- Drama for the BBC series Orphan Black. It was a surprise because it was pretty expected that Robin Wright would take it for House of Cards. But, I say good for Maslany because I have seen her work in the past in the Canadian horror gem Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed. So, it is nice that she has reached the level of acclaim that she has here in the States. But a few wins that were kind of expected were Fargo winning big, in particular winning Best Miniseries and Best Actor in a Miniseries/TV Movie for Billy Bob Thornton, as well as Allison Tolman semi-upsetting Julia Roberts for Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries/TV Movie.

Overall, even though some of my predictions were wrong, I was still pleased that there were upsets, which I LOVE when watching awards shows. If you have watched the show last night, please feel free to write your thoughts on the winners in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment