Friday, June 13, 2014

Topic Of The Day: Critics' Choice TV Awards Predictions

Hello, Bloggers, for today's Topic Of The Day, I figured I'd share a little something that isn't exactly related to film, but television. I have been pretty active on my account on the award site Gold Derby and I figured that since on that site, I made my predictions for who I think will win at the Critics' Choice TV Awards this coming Thursday. Let's take a look:

I'll start off with discussing the categories that focus on the Dramatic TV Shows. I feel that the prize for Best TV Series- Drama will hands down go to Breaking Bad. I picked that as my Super Bet to score 500 points because since the show is bidding a fond farewell, they will want the show to go out with a bang and not a fizzle since it was so successful. I also picked Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn to win Best Supporting Actor and Actress in a Drama respectively and heavily predict Bryan Cranston to win Best Actor in a TV Series- Drama. Although, Matthew McConaughey, who is nominated for True Detective, might prove my predictions wrong and I think leading up to the Emmys in August, this category will be a battle between Cranston and McConaughey. Will Cranston go two-for-two and win the Tony and the Emmy this year as a fond farewell for Breaking Bad ending or will the McConaissance continue? Next, my pick for Best Actress in a TV Series- Drama is Robin Wright for House of Cards. She already has the momentum of a Golden Globe win and could easily add another trophy to her mantle. But, if anyone were to beat her, my guess would be Julianna Marguiles for The Good Wife. 

Next, I'll go into the Comedy categories. My prediction for Best Comedy Series is Veep, although Orange is the New Black is the odds-on favorite. Something just tells me that Veep is going to win it and there are times I listen to my inner voice. I even picked Julia Louis-Dreyfus to win Best Actress in a Comedy TV Series. Now, my pick for Best Actor in a Comedy TV Series was initially Jim Parsons for The Big Bang Theory, but Louis C.K. is the odds-on favorite to win for Louie, so I figured just to be safe, I would have him as my prediction to win.

Now, I'll go into the categories I am the most excited for: The TV Movie/Miniseries categories. I am pretty stoked about those because The Normal Heart is up for a few: Best TV Movie, Best Actor (Mark Ruffalo), Best Supporting Actor/Actress (Matt Bomer and Julia Roberts). I picked The Normal Heart to win all of those and I especially am heavily predicting wins for Ruffalo and Bomer. Although, I could see the Supporting Actress category turning into a battle between Julia Roberts and Kathy Bates for American Horror Story: Coven. Either one of those two is fine by me because I am quite fond of American Horror Story and I liked Kathy Bates' performance. Cicely Tyson is the heavy odds-on favorite to win Best Actress in a TV Movie/Miniseries for The Trip to Bountiful, so I went with her. I would've picked Jessica Lange for American Horror Story: Coven, but I just don't see it happening, despite me really liking Lange's performance. American Horror Story: Coven is also up for Best TV Miniseries, but the odds seem to be more in the favor of Fargo since that adaptation of the famous movie has become pretty well-received. If it won big in the awards circuit, it would seem like a neat way to make up for the film not winning the grand prize at the Oscars, which in my personal opinion, was master-class robbery.

So, those are my predictions to win at the upcoming Critics' Choice TV Awards. I will probably post more predictions of different awards shows that I will make on Gold Derby in the future, just as a heads up. But until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment