Whenever we think of role models, one would say that we should think of our parents first, and that person would be right. But, I figured that since we live in such a celebrity and media-obsessed culture, why not shine a light on a few famous people that set more positive examples for those that follow their work. Here is my list of the top 10 celebrity role models:
10. Josh Hutcherson: Probably the youngest person on this list, Josh Hutcherson, star of The Hunger Games, has already set a positive example for younger men and teenagers. He is the youngest person to win the Vanguard Award from the GLAAD Media Awards for his contributions to the LGBT community and like his Hunger Games co-star Jennifer Lawrence, hasn't been photographed stumbling out of clubs thus far.
9. Anne Hathaway: One of the more polarizing actresses out there, Anne Hathaway is still a more positive example for younger women because of how she has proven her versatility as an actress, devotes her time to charitable causes, like St. Jude's Children's Hospital, and seems to make more positive life choices, since she is never in the tabloids unlike some of her contemporaries.
8. Michael J. Fox: Even though he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's early in his career, Michael J. Fox is a shining example of how you should never let whatever physical disability you have prevent you from doing what you love. Fox would still work steadily after being diagnosed and even devotes his time to being an advocate to Parkinson's research and finding a cure.
7. Taylor Swift: I didn't want to admit it at first because of how I wasn't fond of her repetitive music, but Taylor Swift is very much a good role model. Even though she has won multiple awards and earns more money than she could spent, she still hasn't let her success spoil her as she donates a lot of her money and time to numerous charitable causes, and won more special awards for her humanitarian efforts
6. Ellen DeGeneres: Not only does Ellen DeGeneres devote her time to charitable causes like others on this list, but she also is living proof that people from the LGBT community can really make it big in Tinseltown. Plus, her fun and likable personality always gets me watching her interviews.
5. Leonardo DiCaprio: Not only is Leonardo DiCaprio one of the best actors of his generation, but he is a poster child for child stars gone good. Plus, despite being one of the most successful movie stars to date, he has also become known for his philanthropic work. In particular, he receives praise for his efforts in environmentalism and fighting global warming.
4. Daniel Radcliffe: You would think that an actor like Daniel Radcliffe, who was the star of one of the most successful franchises of all time, the Harry Potter series, would let all that success go to his head. But seemingly and surprisingly, no. Instead, he manages to try and keep his personal life private, and devotes his time and wealth to charitable causes, including The Trevor Project and was even one of many celebrities to donate their glasses at an exhibit honoring victims of the Holocaust.
3. Sandra Bullock: Sandra Bullock is known to film audiences as "America's Sweetheart", and it certainly seems that way since she is known for her generous donations as well as her likable personality. Plus, when the cheating scandal involving her ex-husband was publicized, she chose not to feed into that and just devote her time to her work and her adopted son. To me, that is highly commendable and shows how she seems to truly value her private life and any actor or aspiring actor that wants to try to keep their personal life private can take a few cliff notes from her as she is quite good at it.
2. Tom Hanks: Tom Hanks is unique because of how he has become one of the highest-grossing actors of all time, and is an icon thanks to his famous and quotable roles in films like Apollo 13, Forrest Gump, and A League of Their Own, yet he is still said to be one of the nicest people in showbiz. Plus, he is intensely devoted to his wife of 26 years, which is a rarity in Hollywood, and like others on this list, is pretty charitable as well. So, Hanks is living proof that you can achieve great success and still be a modest human being.
1. Oprah Winfrey: I think that this one is pretty self-explanatory.
Now, here are a few honorable mentions that didn't quite make the list:
So, that was my list of the top 10 best celebrity role models. If there is anybody you would've liked to add to the list, please feel free to write in the comments section. Thanks for reading and Happy Father's Day!