Friday, June 27, 2014

40th Saturn Award Winners/Reactions


Hello, Bloggers, the 40th annual Saturn Awards, which typically celebrates sci-fi, horror, fantasy film and television, has just announced their winners and I figured since I saw plenty of the films nominated, I would offer up my reactions to the winners.

First off, Gravity won Best Science Fiction Film, which I'm sure wasn't much of a surprise. Honestly, seeing this film win big at the Oscars was a big surprise since the Academy doesn't always warm up to big budget fare, but here, not so much. The film's director Alfonso Cuaron ended up with another trophy for Best Director for his mantle and he was quite deserving. Sandra Bullock also won Best Actress and that was a semi-surprise because I thought it would be either or J-Law for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Gravity also won Best Editing and Best Visual Effects.

Director/writer Spike Jonze also won another trophy for his mantle for Best Screenplay for Her, which also won Best Fantasy Film and even Best Supporting Actress for Scarlett Johansson. Johansson's win was one of my favorites of the bunch since she won for acting with just her voice. Her Avengers co-star Robert Downey, Jr. won Best Actor for Iron Man 3 and I thought that was pretty neat, along with Iron Man 3 winning Best Comic-to-Film Motion Picture just because it won over Thor: The Dark World, which I still detest.

Another win I was excited about was Ben Kingsley winning Best Supporting Actor for Iron Man 3. I thought he really stole the show and I was thrilled that he got recognition for his performance. Even though J-Law didn't win for her film, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire still won Best Costume Design, so it was nice that it didn't go home empty handed. Prisoners was another film nominated and that didn't go home empty handed either as it won Best Makeup. It was also nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Melissa Leo and Best Thriller Film but lost that award to World War Z, which I thought belonged in the action/adventure category. 12 Years A Slave was also nominated for and won Best Independent Film.

Now I'll go onto some of the Television Awards. Breaking Bad won Best Television Presentation, as well as Best Supporting Actor (Aaron Paul) and Best Guest Actor (Robert Forster). It wasn't too shocking even though I haven't seen the show just because the show just ended and the different awards shows probably want to give it whatever awards they can. But Mads Mikkelsen won Best Actor for Hannibal and Vera Farmiga won Best Actress for Bates Motel. I was pretty stoked about those wins because it is nice that Mikkelsen is getting quite the recognition here in the States and Farmiga rarely wins anything, so it was nice that she too is getting the recognition she deserves. Speaking of which, her film The Conjuring won Best Horror Film and I was pleased with that win as well since it surpassed some of its competition, including Mama and The Purge. 

So, overall, I was pretty impressed with the list of winners of the 40th Saturn Awards. If you have read the list of winners and feel the same way or disagree, please feel free to write in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment