Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Review: Edge of Tomorrow


                        And I Continue To Hope That Summer Blockbusters Will Have A Better 'Tomorrow'

                  Even though Tom Cruise, an actor that I've grown to admire, hasn't had the greatest opening the weekend this film came out, watching Edge of Tomorrow still gives me hope that we might have a future in quality blockbuster films, regardless of the box office numbers they pull in.

                  Story:
                 Edge of Tomorrow follows an office of the US government named William Cage (Tom Cruise) who is forced into battle with other armed forces against a species of aliens known as Mimics. After fighting a special and larger Mimic, Cage find himself caught in a time loop and fighting the same battle each time after he dies. As he continues to fight this battle, he increasingly gets better in combat and he becomes closer with a fellow soldier named Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt) and they join forces.

                 What I Liked About It:
                First off, I really liked the performance from Tom Cruise. He not only pulls off the action scenes very well but he even provides very solid comic relief as well. Plus, both he and Emily Blunt have great chemistry on screen. I have always enjoyed watching Emily Blunt on screen, but after watching her play an action heroine, I would really love to see her play a role in a comic book movie. I have seen her name thrown around on a bunch of comic book fancasts.

                Another thing I liked was the creature designs. The way they looked was definitely CG, but I liked how they made the Mimics look slightly different from one another to make them more distinctive. Not only that, but I thought the 3D was excellent. If you happen to catch this in theaters, I would suggest seeing it in 3D because it makes the experience of watching the action sequences more exciting and the action sequences are very exciting. Now, the whole idea of the main character reliving the same day may have been done before, even in the sci-fi thriller Source Code, but that idea is handled much more differently in this as it is more of sci-fi actioner rather than a thriller. I know it's not wholly original, but everything is always slightly based off of or inspired by something else.

             What I Didn't Like About It:
             Nothing.

             Consensus:
            Overall, Edge of Tomorrow is a brilliant "turn-your-brain-off" actioner that features fine performances from the two lead actors. It is not meant to be thought provoking, but it is still a nice way to kill a few hours. I would not only highly recommend this, but I would recommend seeing it in 3D.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment