Monday, June 2, 2014

Topic Of The Day: Favorite vs. Best

 Hello, Bloggers, for today's Topic Of The Day, I figured I'd discuss something that just sprung into my mind. I was just thinking about how there is a difference between a film being a favorite movie of mine and a film that I consider one of the best of all time. So, I figured that I would share it with you guys.

Now, if there is a film that I consider a favorite of mine, it is because I would watch it whenever it is on TV or if its On Demand or whatnot. It is a film that usually is more enjoyable. As an example, I will use two of my top three favorite films: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The Nutty Professor. Now, those two wouldn't exactly make the Criterion Collection or win the Palme D'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. But, I would still watch them because I enjoy them. However, there are some that I consider the best which just happen to be some of the best movies ever. One example would be Election, starring Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon. It is a film that I enjoy watching that is also a unique satire on politics and even high school. Plus, there is the 1994 classic Forrest Gump, which is an entertaining film to watch that also has artistic merit with its meaningful storytelling. Since I just saw The Royal Tenenbaums, that could be another example in the upcoming future.

So, a film that I would just consider one of the best of all time but NOT a favorite of mine would be one that makes me feel something or is just powerful filmmaking. Take for example, Schindler's List. Schindler's List is a phenomenal work of art that I would consider one of the top 3 best movies ever. It doesn't mean I would watch it over and over though, just because it deals with such heavy subject matter and the first time I saw it, I was almost a teary mess. I would watch it again, just not every night like I would for a film like Election. There is also the film Requiem For A Dream. I consider that a brilliant and powerful film that deserves its place among the best movies ever and to be watched by almost everyone, although it isn't an easy watch. One more example I will use is Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. I consider that one of the best movies ever as it is brilliantly directed and tells a story about how we are all beasts and how we can "cage the beast". Yet I have only seen it on one or two occasions just because of how its explicit material doesn't make you click the button when you see it is on. Make no mistake, though, Orange, along with Requiem and List, are essential films that have earned their respective places in the film history books.

So, that is my Topic Of The Day about the difference between what I consider a favorite film, what I consider the best of all time and some films that are a blend of the two. Please feel free to write in the comments section some of your favorite movies or what you consider some of the best movies ever. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment