Monday, January 11, 2016

Oscars 2016: Golden Globe Winners Reactions

How would I describe last night's Golden Globe Awards? Well, it was a spectrum of emotions. I loved how there were wins that had my jaw dropping. Yet there were wins that still had me scratching my heads. Also, the show itself was a bit of a trainwreck with all those drunk celebrities cussing on Live TV and such. But it was fun to watch. Although, I thought it was unfortunate that Ricky Gervais was underutilized. Thankfully, he didn't disappoint when we was on stage cracking jokes. Anyways, here are my thoughts on the winners:

Best Motion Picture- Drama: The Revenant 
Wow! I did not see this one coming. I figured that Spotlight would take it since it is our supposed frontrunner. But apparently, not so much anymore. Not that I mind because I think Spotlight is a great movie. But I don't see it as THE film to beat.

Best Actor In A Motion Picture- Drama: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant 
Let's just give him the Oscar already!

Best Actress In A Motion Picture- Drama: Brie Larson, Room 
Absolutely amazing win! I had a slight feeling it would go to Saoirse Ronan, who I also wouldn't have minded to see win. But I was pulling for Larson and I love that she came through and won.

Best Motion Picture- Musical Or Comedy: The Martian 
Regardless of its category placement, it is nice that as just a film, without taking its genre into account, it received proper recognition.

Best Actor In A Motion Picture- Musical Or Comedy: Expected, but well-deserved. Thankfully, I didn't have to "science the s**t" out of trying to figure out whether he would win.

Best Actress In A Motion Picture- Musical Or Comedy: Jennifer Lawrence, Joy 
This was ridiculous. To me, her performance was just Jennifer Lawrence being Jennifer Lawrence and I don't think she deserves an award for that. I'm getting a little tired of this J-Law love, to be honest.

Best Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone, Creed 
I was rooting for him to take it and I think if he makes it into the actual Oscars, he could very well win. That standing ovation he received was very telling.

Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs 
Ooookkkayyy. Not a decision I'm angry about. But I still really wanted Alicia Vikander to take it for Ex Machina. If anything, this win shows that she is safe for a nomination on Thursday.

Best Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu, The Revenant 
Another major surprise. I was rooting for George Miller to take it. But this isn't a decision I'm necessarily angry about. Well done, Innaritu!

Best Screenplay: Aaron Sorkin, Steve Jobs 
Literally didn't see this one coming either.

Best Original Score: Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight 
Yes! I was so thrilled to see Ennio Morricone take this. I predicted Carter Burwell would for Carol, but I was rooting for Morricone. Since both films are Weinstein's, he's got to be a little upset that he came home with only one Globe since Carol went home empty handed.

Best Animated Feature: Inside Out 
Very well-deserved. This is Pixar's best in years. I'd expect its awards march to continue.

Best Foreign Language Film: Son of Saul 
Haven't seen it yet, so I can't really say anything.

Best Original Song: "Writing's On The Wall" from Spectre 
Are you serious? Over See You Again?! (sigh) Whatever.

So those are my thoughts on the Golden Globe winners. Please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section on what you thought of the winners. The Director's Guild announces their nominees tomorrow and the big day, Oscar Nomination Day, is on Thursday. Ooh, I am so excited. Can't wait to discuss those as well. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment