Monday, February 23, 2015

Oscars 2015: Winners Reactions

Hello, Bloggers, the Oscars finally aired last night and here are my reactions to the winners and to the big show itself. Here we go:

Best Picture: Birdman

Just as I predicted, my favorite movie of 2014 prevails and wins the big prize. I love this win and consider it one of the best choices in this category.

Best Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu, Birdman

I figured it would go to Linklater to spread the love, but I am satisfied with this win nevertheless.

Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything

After revisiting Theory of Everything, I can say that while I still would've gone with Michael Keaton as the winner, Redmayne was also deserving. Even though it is a more awards-y choice, still a fine win regardless. Plus, it was nice that they went much younger in one of the male acting categories because usually they honor the careers of older veterans. So this was quite a change of pace.

Best Actress: Julianne Moore, Still Alice

Finally! I can sleep better at night knowing one of our best actresses now has an Oscar.

Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons, Whiplash

Of course. It had to be Simmons. Bonus points for an awesome acceptance speech.

Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood

Surprisingly, Boyhood's only win of the night. But thanks to Arquette, the film didn't go home empty-handed.

Best Original Screenplay: Birdman

Yes! I had a feeling this would win since Grand Budapest Hotel was already taken care of in other categories.

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Imitation Game

At first, I felt bad for Damien Chazelle and his script for Whiplash. But when Graham Moore accepted his award, I was won over by his heartfelt speech. I still would've picked Whiplash, but thanks to Graham Moore, this win doesn't sting that much.

Best Cinematography: Birdman

Chivo strikes again!

Best Editing: Whiplash

Love this win!

Best Production Design/Costume Design/Makeup: The Grand Budapest Hotel

All very deserving wins that help create Wes Anderson's colorful masterpiece.

Best Score: The Grand Budapest Hotel

I had a feeling Alexandre Desplat would suffer a vote split between the two scores he was nominated for. But thankfully, not the case. Also, he thankfully won for a less traditional score than Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game.

Best Visual Effects: Interstellar

Of course.

Best Foreign Language Film: Ida

The only film from this category I've seen thankfully won. I love this movie!

Best Documentary: Citizenfour

Guess I have to see this.

Best Animated Feature: Big Hero 6

One of the few surprises of the night. Still haven't seen this, though.

Best Song: "Glory" from Selma

Kind of like with Graham Moore's win, I felt a little bad with "Everything Is Awesome" losing, but Common and John Legend still won me over with their performance. Very powerful song that almost brought tears out of me when I first listened to it.

Best Sound Editing: American Sniper

Kind of knew this one was coming.

Best Sound Mixing: Whiplash

Glad I got this one right. I especially think it was deserving for those final 15 minutes. Oh, my lord, those final 15 minutes.

Now onto the ceremony. I thought Neil Patrick Harris was a really good host. I liked how he offered a  blend of goth prestige and edge. In other words, he did a classy musical number with a video montage of classic films at the beginning, yet he still had that spoof of Birdman where he appeared on stage in his undergarments and made a shocking yet funny quip about Harvey Weinstein. So he found a right balance, in my opinion. I also loved that bit about Harris' secret ballot and how he interacted with the seat fillers who are usually just there to fill the seats of the celebrities who get up from them and not make interaction of any kind. So, it was nice how Harris gave them a few seconds in the sun. I also loved the musical performance by Tegan and Sara ft. The Lonely Island of "Everything Is Awesome" and how they handed out Lego Oscars to the audience. Seeing Oprah's face when she got one was priceless. Plus, seeing Julie Andrews appear on stage after Lady Gaga did her Sound of Music was very nice and to see her praise Lady Gaga was also classy. The tribute may have extended the ceremony, but I didn't really care. I thought the ceremony as a whole was wonderful and I was very pleased with the list of winners. If you have seen the ceremony, please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section. It was a real pleasure covering the Oscars over these past few months and I will certainly cover next year's soon. Until then, thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment