Sunday, February 15, 2015

Oscars 2015: Behind The Outrage Of A Snub

Hello, Bloggers, as part of my Oscar coverage, I will be doing a Topic Of The Day on Oscar snubs. Not necessarily those that were snubbed this year, but why people become so outraged when certain films or performances get snubbed and how people can overcome the potential anger that comes with snubs in the years to come. Here we go:

Now, when people take to Twitter or the Internet to vent their feelings about what film they thought got snubbed, it isn't necessarily because those films got snubbed, but because their own personal favorites got snubbed. Since there are millions of audiences with their own acquired tastes, the only reason the Academy can't recognize all those tastes is because there are only five slots in each category except for Best Picture. There are so many films that came out each year, yet so few slots. Not to mention, and I said this before in my TOTD about the snubbing of Selma, voters are like us because they have their own tastes. Some they share with audiences, some they don't. So when they show little interest in a film that some audiences like, it doesn't mean they are wrong for snubbing them. It just means they weren't as crazy about it. I mean, would I have loved to see them take a chance and nominate films like Gone Girl, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Interstellar for Best Picture? Sure. But I am not going to call them wrong for snubbing them because in art, their is no right or wrong answer. Everything is subjective. I know that their was plenty of controversy this year over them not nominating female writers or directors and not nominating black artists. But, in my opinion, it might just be because the films they liked just happened to be written and directed by males and the performances they liked just happen to be white actors. It isn't them being racist or sexist. They just have an opinion like everyone else and honestly, it makes audience members look bad by cursing at them. Even if you don't agree with what they picked, you shouldn't shun them for it. That is why some people, like myself, make their own Oscar ballots to list who they would nominate if they were voting members of the Academy.

Another reason that people become outraged by snubs is high expectations. If people watch the announcements on Nomination Day expecting their favorites that don't get nominated to be a sure thing, then their is bound to be disappointment. I would keep in mind that on Nomination Day, nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY is a sure thing. Anything is possible and anybody can get shut out. That's why I wasn't overly angry when The Lego Movie was snubbed for Best Animated Feature, Gone Girl for Best Adapted Screenplay, Jake Gyllenhaal for Best Actor, and Life Itself for Best Documentary. While I was a little saddened they didn't get in their respective categories and was hoping they would get in, the only reason I wasn't super upset is because I wasn't sure if they were going to get in. Not only that, but I knew that some of my favorites from last year, like Starred Up, Locke, and Obvious Child, had no chance at all. So, I wasn't expecting much and in forthcoming Nomination mornings, I would suggest watching with open expectations. That way, you won't feel too disappointed.

So, those are my thoughts on the outrage of an Oscar snub. Whether you agree or disagree, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. The big night is in 7 days and until then, I will continue my Oscar coverage. Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment