Sunday, February 8, 2015

Oscars 2015: BAFTA Awards Reactions

Hello, Bloggers, the BAFTA Awards just took place and here are my quick thoughts on the winners:

Best Film:
Boyhood

I had a gut feeling they would go with The Grand Budapest Hotel since it had the most nominations, but I was wrong of course. I do like this win, though.

Best Director:
Richard Linklater, Boyhood

Kind of predictable, but a fine decision nevertheless.

Best Actor:
Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything 

A Brit winning for playing a famous Brit. Big. Freaking. Surprise.

Best Actress:
Julianne Moore, Still Alice

Looks like Moore gets to finally practice her speech. However, there goes Rosamund Pike's Oscar.

Best Supporting Actor:
J.K. Simmons, Whiplash

Are they rushing or dragging to give him the Oscar?

Best Supporting Actress:
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood

Best Adapted Screenplay:
The Theory of Everything

Probably one of the few surprises from this list of winners. But if The Imitation Game loses the WGA, that movie is SOL.

Best Original Screenplay:
The Grand Budapest Hotel

I figured if it wasn't going to go to Birdman, it would go to this. Now, it is officially between those two.

Best Editing:
Whiplash

Love this win!

Best Documentary:
Citizenfour

Surprise, surprise.

Best Animated Feature:
The Lego Movie

Everything is awesome!

Best Film Not In The English Language:
Ida

Wonderful win. Might boil down to this film and Leviathan. 

Best Cinematography:
Birdman

Birdman's only win of the night. But at least it didn't go home empty handed. There is a silver lining to anything.

Best Production Design:
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Of course.

Best Costume Design:
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Again. Of course.

Best Original Music:
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Wes Anderson certainly had a good night despite apparently not being there.

Best Makeup and Hair:
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Special Visual Effects:
Interstellar

I guess the team behind that film can breath easy after its stunning loss at the Effects guild.

Best Sound:
Whiplash

Makes sense.

Most Outstanding British Film:
The Theory of Everything

Knew it.

Most Outstanding Debut By A British Writer, Director, Or Producer:
Pride

Love this one! Terrific film.

EE BAFTA Rising Star Award:
Jack O'Connell

Yes! Here is hoping his star shines bright.

So overall, I felt that even though the BAFTAs were sort of predictable, I was still satisfied with most of the winners. I do like that Simmons, Moore, and Arquette won, and I wasn't even too upset that Redmayne won because I thought he was very good. I was just kind of hoping they would diverge and make things a little interesting. But I would love to hear your thoughts on the winners. Please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. Up until the 22nd, when the Oscars take place, I will continue my Oscar coverage. Until then, thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment