Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Oscar Watch: Sully (2016)

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of my Oscar Watch where I discuss trailers for upcoming Oscar contenders. For this post, I will discuss a trailer for a film that to me, is a bit of a question mark in this race. That film is Clint Eastwood's Sully about famed pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger.

Full trailer down below:
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/sully-trailer-tom-hanks-video-pilot-1201806340/

Even though the film is directed by Clint Eastwood, who's quite an Academy darling, I would say it is a question mark because Eastwood is very hit-or-miss these days. For every Gran Torino, he makes a Jersey Boys. Also, even though on paper, it seems to push all the right buttons: "Great man" biopic starring an Academy darling directed by an Academy darling, it doesn't always equal Oscar glory. It all depends on if the film is well-reviewed and it does business at the box office. It could achieve the former but who knows about the latter because Tom Hanks is also hit-or-miss these days. Although if this film does land, I could definitely see it do wonders for Aaron Eckhart. Whether or not Tom Hanks gets in, his supporting men do (Barkhad Abdi in Captain Phillips, Mark Rylance in Bridge of Spies, etc.). Eckhart also has the boxing drama Bleed For This coming out later this year. That'll help his cause.

As a film, though, I don’t know if this one is jumping at me. For me, Clint Eastwood as a director is hit or miss. I really liked Unforgiven and Play Misty For Me thought Mystic River was flawed, I dislike Million Dollar Baby, and I don't think American Sniper holds up particularly well.

I'm sure the older male Academy voters will salivate over this. They're in complete love with "man in crisis" biopics and they love Clint Eastwood. It all depends on critics and audiences, though.

What do you guys think? Do you think that this looks like a legitimate Oscar contender or are you waiting for the reviews like myself? Please be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment