Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Casting "Ocean's Ocho"


An all-female version of Ocean's Eleven is on its way with Sandra Bullock starring, Cate Blanchett apparently in talks to star, and Gary Ross directing. But according to its title Ocean's Ocho, instead of eleven thieves, it'll have eight. Now before I go any further, I'll admit that I'm not over the moon about the idea of an all-female Ocean's movie. But that's because I'm not crazy about the idea of having a boy's team and a girl's team and by having an all-female version, it makes me feel like it's not for me.

But for the fun of it, I'll still offer my own casting choices. Actresses that I think would be a great fit and make it a film for everyone.

So with the first two slots being filled, I will offer my picks for the remaining six. First off is Rose Byrne. One reason being that she has a gift for comedy and another reason being that she's a terrific ensemble player.

Next is Taraji P. Henson. Doing this film would be a great and exciting way to keep her occupied when she's not filming TV's Empire and she would help keep the team diverse. The second reason is why I would include Constance Wu from the sitcom Fresh Off The Boat. Also, the Twitter hashtag #StarringConstanceWu shows how much passion there is for her to appear more on the big screen.



I personally think they should even throw in a relative unknown that could be made into a star after the film's release. That's why I would go with Melonie Diaz from Fruitvale Station. While her Fruitvale co-star Michael B. Jordan and director Ryan Coogler are going on to bigger things, the same has yet to happen to Diaz and this could be a project to help her go on to bigger things.


My next choice would be Mya Taylor from Tangerine. One reason is because of the two groups she represents: women of color and trans talent, another is because so she can have a mainstream project that'll allow her to capitalize on her breakthrough buzz from Tangerine, and because if you've seen Tangerine, you know she has quite the screen presence.

My last pick is one that seems like an unfit choice for an Ocean's movie but would still be a fun and interesting addition: Tilda Swinton. While Swinton may be more of an arthouse star, I think by casting her, she would be draw in that arthouse audience and like I said, you'd want to make this a film where everyone wants to go.

I also want to add my picks for the male lead. To me, the male lead should be played by someone who has universal appeal with both men and women: Oscar Isaac. He's currently labeled as "The Internet's Boyfriend" so women think he's attractive and men like him too. But if Star Wars keeps him too busy, there's always Tom Hardy and/or Idris Elba in case they go with more than one male lead.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with any of my casting choices? Whether you agree or disagree, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section and write your own casting choices as well. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment