Thursday, May 12, 2016

Topic Of The Day: Diversity In The Marvel Cinematic Universe


I worry that because I've talked so often about the state of diversity in the Hollywood and the Academy, I'm starting to sound like a broken record or a social justice warrior. But a few recent stories surrounding the Marvel Cinematic Universe have me wanting to continue this discussion.

Marvel CEO Kevin Feige recently said how he's open to finally giving Scarlett Johansson a Black Widow movie and the Russo Bros. who did the Captain America sequels have said they'd be open to having more LGBT superheroes introduced on the big screen in the MCU. But I can only sum up what I have to say about it in four strong yet simple words:

Just do it already!

Instead of saying how you are open to the possibility of these things, just go ahead and make them hapoen because if I keep hearing about how open Marvel is about more gay superheroes and Black Widow getting her own movie, then I won't believe it until I actually see it.

I think it is definitely time that Black Widow got her own movie. One reason is because I want Black Widow to get her own movie and another is that with Lucy, Scarlett Johansson can open a movie on her own without relying on a brand. That's something that her male co-stars, like Chris Hemsworth and even Robert Downey, Jr., have struggled to do. So Scarlett Johansson definitely brings something to the table and saying that you are open to a solo Black Widow movie is a lot different from actually making it happen.

The same goes for seeing more gay superheroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now, I'm sure Marvel is a little skeptical about that because it might not play well in China or Russia which are countries that have strict anti-gay laws. Also, China is a proven force for worldwide box office receipts these days. But the character of Deadpool is pansexual and look how well the movie did. It made about $700 million worldwide.

Marvel gave Jessica Jones and Luke Cage the greenlight on the small screen on Netflix and they are about to put the Captain Marvel and Black Panther movies together on the big screen. So I can't see why they can't represent the gay community more whether it'd be on Netflix or the big screen. That's something I badly want to see happen but I won't believe it until I actually see it with my own eyes.

What do you guys think? Do you think that Marvel should just hush up and deliver on their promises or that they are false promises? Please write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment