Sunday, May 22, 2016

Cannes 2016 Winners: My Reactions

Well..that was a weird set of Cannes winners. These winners went quite far from who I predicted and I simply just cannot wrap my head around them. Just, wow!

Palme D'Or: I, Daniel Blake

Best Director: Olivier Assayas, Personal Shopper and Cristian Mingiu, Graduation 

Best Actor: Shaheb Hosseini, The Salesman

Best Actress: Jaclyn Jose, Brilliante

Grand Prix: It's Only The End Of The World 

Jury Prize: American Honey

Best Screenplay: The Salesman

Now, what makes me quite stunned about this set of winners is that some of these films like Personal Shopper and It's Only The End Of The World have had a polarizing response. Apparently, American Honey has gotten a divisive response. But Personal Shopper got booed at its screening. Even I, Daniel Blake didn't seem to have very loud buzz as the reviews came out.

Now Loving, which has emerged as an Oscar frontrunner didn't win anything. But that doesn't mean its momentum is hurt because the Cannes winners aren't always predictive of the Oscars. Cannes does help U.S. films that are screened there to get early buzz going. But it's not "do or die" for Oscar movies.

What do you guys think? If you've followed the Cannes Film Festival, are you as puzzled by the winners as I am? Please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment