Sunday, February 14, 2016

Oscars 2016: "The Revenant" Emerges The Big BAFTA Winner

Here are my thoughts on the BAFTA winners. I'll be entering them as they are being announced and in the order in which they will be announced. Let's see what shall await us.

Outstanding British Film: Brooklyn

Excellent choice! It's my second favorite film of the year and I'm glad to see it collect some hardware this awards season.

Best Hair and Makeup: Mad Max: Fury Road 

Of course. With all the makeup put into it, how could it not be the winner?

Best Cinematography: The Revenant 

Richly deserved. I would've loved to see John Seale win for Mad Max: Fury Road. But Emmanuel Lubezki's not a bad person to lose to.

Best Documentary: Amy 

Done deal. Moving on...

Best Original Music: The Hateful Eight 

This one is starting to look pretty sewn up. But I love the score, so this one would be very deserved.

Best British Short Film: Operator

Best British Short Animation: Edmond

Best Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road 

YES!!!! I was really hoping it would win here. I figured it would go to this or The Big Short, but it's looking closer for Mad Max: Fury Road which won the Critics Choice, the Eddie Award, and now this.

Best Sound: The Revenant 

It's looking like we might see a Mad Max-Revenant showdown in the techs.

Best Special Visual Effects: Star Wars: The Force Awakens 

Then again...maybe not.

EE Rising Star Award: John Boyega

He is a star on the rise for sure. I figured he was since I saw Attack The Block.

Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies 

I suppose if there is anyone for Sly Stallone to watch out for, it's Rylance since he is up against Stallone at the Oscars. Either one of those two would be a worthy winner, though.

Best Animated Film: Inside Out 

Well-deserved. Moving on....

Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs 

Looks like it is a Vikander-Winslet matchup at the Oscars. Between those two, I'd go with Winslet.

Best Costume Design: Mad Max: Fury Road 

Well so far, Mad Max is 3-3, I believe. Nice, though. 3 is better than none.

Outstanding Debut By A British Writer, Producer, or Director: Naji Abu Nowar, Theeb

Didn’t see that, but wow! I just realized Alex Garland lost for Ex Machina. 

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short 

Done deal. Very well-deserved and it's great for Adam McKay. But sorry Emma Donoghue. It'll take a miracle for you to win for Room.

Best Original Screenplay: Spotlight 

Moving on...

Best Film Not In The English Language: Wild Tales

Whoa, nelly! I mean, I think Son of Saul has this all sewn up. Especially considering Wild Tales was already nominated last year. But dang.

Best Production Design: Mad Max: Fury Road 

So now, Mad Max: Fury Road is 4-3. Even if it didn't get in for Best Film or Director, it is still a lovely day for Mad Max!

Best Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu, The Revenant 

He mmmiigghht have this sewn up. I don’t know. I don't know if they'll give him his second in a row. It is looking quite possible.

Best Leading Actress: Brie Larson, Room 

Officially sewn up. Moving right along..

Best Leading Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant 

At this point, if anyone upsets DiCaprio, they'll become public enemy #1.

Best Film: The Revenant 

After winning Cinematography, Sound, Director, Leading Actor, I had a feeling this was going to happen. If it does win on the 28th, I actually won't be too upset because it's at least a better Western than Dances With Wolves. 

Soo, those are my quick thoughts on the BAFTA Awards winners please be sure to leave your own thoughts in the comments section. I look forward to continuing my Oscar coverage before the big show on the 28th. Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment