Saturday, August 29, 2015

Oscar Re-Do Blogathon: My Own Entry!

Hello, Bloggers, since I just completed my Oscar Re-Do blogathon, I figured just for the heck of it, I would create my own entry. It is a little late, but because there are plenty of amazing films that have been ignored by Oscars almost across the board, I will avenge one myself. That film is Gone Girl. 


Best Picture: This is an easy one. It is one of my top 5 films of the year and after repeat viewings, it continues to hold up. Much more so than others, which brings me to...

What Goes Off: The Theory of Everything. Gone Girl is a modern and inventive look at the media and marriage while also being a mystery. The Theory of Everything is another disabled genius biopic that, despite its solid performances, is too conventional for its own good.


Best Director: David Fincher. Of course, how could I forget to recognize the genius who put the amazing film together?

Who Goes Off: Morten Tyldum, The Imitation Game. Interestingly, while I thought his film was pretty good, one of its biggest flaws was Tyldum's direction, which left me very cold by the time the credits rolled.

Best Actress: Rosamund Pike (*already nominated*)


Best Supporting Actress: Carrie Coon. While I think the movie belongs to Pike, out of the supporting cast, it is Carrie Coon who is the MVP as the one bright spot amongst a sea of darker, grey characters.

Who Goes Off: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood. After repeat viewings of Boyhood, Arquette's performance didn't really hold up in my eyes. Quite the opposite effect of Carrie Coon's performance.


Best Adapted Screenplay: Gillian Flynn. THE adapted screenplay of the year. Not even close. Even if the movie wasn't for everyone, this snub was inexcusable. I mean, those diary monologues! Damn.

Who Goes Off: Damien Chazelle, Whiplash. Pains me to do this, but it isn't an adapted screenplay. So unfortunately, it goes off.

Best Original Score: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Those two continue to create such inventive and unique scores. This one is no different.



Who Goes Off: Johann Johansson, Theory of Everything. Even when it won at the Globes, I thought "It was a fine score, but over that competition?"

So that is my entry in my own blogathon. Please feel free to write your thoughts on it in the comments section and I look forward to creating another one in the future. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment