Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Oscar Watch: Brooklyn & Joy (2015)

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to a special edition of Trailer Talk. They just released trailers for two upcoming potential and female-centered awards players: the coming-of-age romance Brooklyn starring Saoirse Ronan and the biopic Joy starring Jennifer Lawrence and directed by David O. Russell. Here are my thoughts:


I'll start off with Brooklyn. When I first heard about this film, I didn't really have an aching desire to run out and see it. Mainly because it didn't seem like my cup of tea. That is until I saw the trailer. Holy cow, I did not expect to love it as much as I did. I think Saoirse Ronan is going to be as amazing as she was in Hanna and she and Emory Cohen (AJ from The Place Beyond The Pines), who plays Ronan's love interest Tony, look like they have great chemistry. I think that might be the biggest selling point for me. Plus, the cast also includes Ex Machina's Domnhall Gleeson, Julie Walters aka Mrs. Weasley, and Jim Broadbent. It has an awards release date in November and I might check it out to potentially get homework done for Nomination Day and because it looks great.


Now onto Joy. While I loved Silver Linings Playbook and only liked American Hustle, I am not overly crazed about this one despite the involvement. One reason is the casting of Jennifer Lawrence. I like Jennifer Lawrence as an actress, but I think O. Russell casting her as women about twice her age is getting a little distracting. Also, it feels like American Hustle 2.0 because it has the same band of actors, looks like it has similar choppy editing, and David O. Russell might potentially give his actors as many histrionic Oscar bait clips as possible. I like the talent involved, but if I were a director, I wouldn't want the same actors to appear in all my films. I'll wait until a new trailer comes out. That is where my true potential feelings about seeing it will be clinched. Although if it gains significant buzz, I'll likely see it to get my homework done.

So those are my thoughts on the trailers for these two films. If you have seen any of these previews, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section on whether or not you plan to see them. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment