Friday, May 29, 2015

Oscars: Tribute To The Fallen: Shame (2011)

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Tribute To The Fallen where I discuss films that weren't nominated at the Oscars, yet in my opinion should have. My next film I will be discussing is the 2011 addiction drama Shame. 


Before I start, I just want to say that hopefully whoever was running the Oscar campaign for this movie was fired because this movie was horrifically snubbed across the board and not just Best Actor, which I will get into shortly. The fact that Michael Fassbender was snubbed for Best Actor will go down in history as one of the worst snubs in the past 20 years and possibly one of the worst ever. Fassbender gave an absolute master class performance that is literally and figuratively full-bodied. But I guess in hindsight, it isn't too surprising he, and the film, got shut out.

The Academy is mostly made up of old white males that were likely uncomfortable with the constant sight of Michael's, ahem..Fassbender. Not only that, but the film itself is pretty grim and raw as it gives us a glimpse into the horrors of sex addiction as well as the battered bond between the main character and his sister, Sissy. So, they can occasionally nominate films like Gone Girl or Requiem For A Dream that are also pretty pessimistic, but they can't nominate Shame because it's grim, has male nudity, and is even NC-17. I find it difficult to believe since this is the same Academy that nominated A Clockwork Orange and Midnight Cowboy for Best Picture.

But not only do I think Fassbender should've got nominated for Best Actor (heck, he should've WON), but it also deserved nods for Best Picture, Best Director for Steve McQueen, Best Original Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Supporting Actress for Carey Mulligan, Best Original Score, Best Editing, and even Best Sound Mixing.

So those are my thoughts on why I think Shame deserved better than the treatment it received. Whether you agree or disagree, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment