Thursday, May 21, 2015

Oscars: Tribute To The Fallen: Mean Girls (2004)

Hello, Bloggers, on Entertainment Weekly's website, they have a special segment devoted to films that got completely shut out by the Oscars called "Nominated For Nothing." So, I got inspired to create my own similar segment where I as well go into films, both past and present, that I feel should've gotten recognition. This Oscar segment is known as "Tribute To The Fallen." The first film I will go into is the 2004 teen classic Mean Girls.


Now, some of you who read this may think "Really? Mean Girls?", but hear me out. Believe it or not, this film was actually pretty close to being an Oscar nominee for Best Adapted Screenplay as Tina Fey, who wrote the film, was nominated by the Writers Guild of America. I can definitely see why as not only does she go deep into the politics of high school cliques, but she also wrote a female-centered comedy that still had wide appeal beyond just women and she creates such rich and complex female characters. That actually brings me to my next point. I am curious as to how they didn't run a Best Supporting Actress campaign for names like Lizzy Caplan, Tina Fey, and especially Rachel McAdams whose villainous Regina George has perhaps become more iconic than some of the performances that won Best Supporting Actress recently. She might've even been my personal choice that year.

Not only has her performance aged well, but so has the film itself. It's been 11 years since it came out and people still quote it, revisit it, and now create memes from it. Can people say the same for Finding Neverland or Ray which were nominated? Usually, one thing I look for in a Best Picture nominee is not just the quality of the film but whether or not it'll age well or if people will remember it for years to come. But, I guess voters didn't want to make "fetch" happen.

So those are my thoughts on why I think Mean Girls deserved Oscar recognition and if you agree or disagree, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. You can also share your thoughts on my new "Tribute To The Fallen" segment. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment