Sunday, May 31, 2015

Oscars: Tribute To The Fallen: Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Tribute To The Fallen where I discuss films that weren't nominated at the Oscars and discuss why I think they should've gotten recognition. Since this is my 450th post, I figured since I enjoy discussing the Oscars, I'd create another post. regarding them. Today's film that I will discuss is the 2014 sci-fi pic Edge of Tomorrow. 


While sci-fi films often do get nominated, it is often in the typical tech categories and not in many of the major categories. This film was certainly worthy of recognition in the Visual Effects category. But there are a few major categories I think it deserved a stronger push in. One is Best Film Editing because of how the constant going back to the same place after Tom Cruise's character keeps dying structures the film like it is a video game bringing the main hero back to the same checkpoint. Much more inventive than the editing of films like American Sniper which was nominated.

There is also Best Adapted Screenplay. For those of you who don't know, Edge of Tomorrow was based on a graphic novel called "All You Need Is Kill" and while I haven't read the novel, books and films are still two different mediums and the writers of this film seem to have translated the pages to the script well as the writers develop a complex arc for the main hero who tries to become a better fighter. Plus, the film combines elements of sci-fi, drama, and even humor.

Lastly, there is Best Actress or Supporting Actress for Emily Blunt. First off, I just want to say that I am sick of people saying that the female categories are always weak and difficult to fill. I mean, look at last year with Blunt's performance for example. She creates a complex character with Rita Vratarski by offering a blend of heroic badassery and dramatic depth. Yet they still nominated Meryl Streep for being Meryl Streep and Felicity Jones for playing the clichéd straight laced wife. Thankfully, she still won the Critics Choice Award for Best Actress in an Action Movie for her troubles. So, there are some fascinating and complex female performances out there. People just need to use their thinking caps and look harder.

So those are my thoughts on why I think Edge of Tomorrow deserved some Oscar love. Whether you agree or disagree, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment