Sunday, January 4, 2015

Top 5 Worst Movies of 2014

Hello, Bloggers, I have yet another list devoted to film in 2014 and it will be my second to last as I will do a list of the 10 best film sequences of the year. But, I will share a much shorter list of what I consider to be the 5 worst or most disappointing movies of 2014. Here we go:


5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2:
I wouldn't even say this is a movie. This was more of a two and a half long trailer for the potential Sinister Six movie and even that may not come into fruition. While the actors do a good job woth what they are given, even Chris Cooper who seemed like he just wanted to collect his check after his one scene, the storyline is so jumbled and I think that the filmmakers were trying to make up for that with dazzling effects. The effects were good, but the movie just ended up getting tangled in its own web.


4. Noah:
Darren Aronofsky is one of my favorite directors working today. But because every great director has had their fair share of missteps, I won't rag on him. But the film itself is just a disappointing bore. I won't even point at its accuracy. I wouldn't know what happened. I wasn't there. Not a whole lot to say. Just skip this. Life is short.


3. The Lunchbox:
I saw this at my Sunday Cinema Club and I had a feeling I was the only person that didn't enjoy this. Absolutely nothing happens and there is no conflict or resolution. It is just two strangers exchanging notes in a lunchbox back and forth through a special delivery service. That's literally all it is. There just weren't enough ingredients.


2. The Judge:
Ugh! I hate this movie. I hate how it is riddled with cliches, like how the father and son butt heads, and felt that the film was so emotionally manipulative when they even tried to turn it into a cancer drama as well. Not to mention, the characters are so unlikable, it has the pacing of a tortoise race, and it just baffles me that it is receiving awards recognition of any kind when there are better movies more worthy of that type of acclaim. Plus, if you want to watch a good father-son drama, I urge you to watch Starred Up instead.  You might thank me later.

Now, for number one, I have a feeling I am not going to make a lot of friends, but my apologies:


1. Under The Skin:
In case anyone fires back with "You just don't get it" or "You're not deep enough", I will say that I do love arthouse films. What I don't love, however, is arthouse films where the filmmakers think that they are creating art just by having beautiful cinematography and constant closeups of people's expressions. That is all this movie is. All it does is have Scarlett Johansson driving around her van and walking around aimlessly. Nothing. Happens. The film looks beautiful, but the real beauty of a film lies in its script and character development. That's what made a minimalist film like Locke work so well. If you did like this film, then that's fine by me. I won't judge you. But I personally found it painful to sit through and found it to be the worst movie of the year.

So, that was my list of the top 5 worsf movies of the year. If you agree or disagree with my picks, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section and create your own list. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment