Monday, January 12, 2015

2015 Golden Globe Reactions

Hello, Bloggers, the Golden Globes have finally aired last night and here are my reactions to the winners and even parts of the show itself. Here we go:

I'll start off with the winners. Boyhood came out the big winners with 3 Golden Globes for Motion Picture-Drama, Best Director and Best Supporting Actress. Before it won Best Motion Picture, I remember getting pretty nervous another film would snag that award, but thankfully, that's not the case. So Boyhood can still maintain its status as the film to beat. Birdman also came out a pretty big winner with 2 Globes for Best Screenplay and Best Actor In A Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy. But it was The Grand Budapest Hotel that emerged as the winner for Best Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy, surprising a lot of us. But it isn't a winner I will lose sleep over like How To Train Your Dragon 2 winning Best Animated Feature over The LEGO Movie. Ouch. As expected, J.K. Simmons won Best Supporting Actor for his outstanding work in Whiplash. So, my top three films of the year (Birdman, Boyhood, Whiplash) managed to not go home empty handed. That I was happy about. It was also nice that Julianne Moore won Best Actress-Drama for Still Alice.  I was kind of hoping that Rosamund Pike would take it, but I won't fault Moore for her brilliant work. Amy Adams won Best Actress- Comedy Or Musical for Big Eyes, but that I can't really comment on it because I haven't seen the film, but I might just in case Adams sneaks in on Thursday morning. (Now, I'm really biting my fingernails for Marion Cotillard) I wasn't even too crazy about the Actress- Musical or Comedy category too begin with, despite Emily Blunt and Julianne Moore being excellent in their respective roles, because I was busy wondering what kind of speech Jenny Slate could've given if she was nominated and won.  Theory of Everything was also a pretty big winner as it walked away with both Best Actor-Drama and Best Original Score. Best Actor-Drama was kind of expected, but Best Original Score was unexpected. I was still left going "Agh" at those wins because even though I thought the film was good, its luster is starting to wear off of me. I mean, the score was very good and I am glad for Eddie Redmayne because of the work he did in the film and he seems like a very modest individual, but I personally would've gone a different direction in both categories. Leviathan won Best Foreign Film and that win I also can't comment on because I haven't seen. But on a more positive note, justice was served as Matt Bomer won Best Supporting Actor-TV for his work in The Normal Heart after that horrific Emmy snub. In terms of the overall film winners, though, there were a good amount that I was very happy about, some I was on the fence about, and only one that just downright irked me. Even though there were some surprises, it was nice that there were still surprises.

But what did I think of the overall show? I would say it was a hit with its fair share of misses. I loved Tina and Amy's monologue. I was surprised by how they went edgy by bringing up North Korea and Bill Cosby. But their jokes still got a laugh out of me. I also thought it was hilarious when Meryl Streep was about to get a picture taken with Margaret Cho, who was dressed as a North Korean official, and Benedict Cumberbatch sprinted up and photobombed them. When that happened, I said to myself "What is there not to love about Benedict Cumberbatch? ". There were some gasps made when Jennifer Lopez and Jeremy Renner presented and Renner made a small naughty reference to Lopez's "Globes" that were showing. While that little quip was surprising because it was said live, it isn't really anything to cause an uproar or anything like that. Although, I do think J-Lo's dress showed more than we needed to see. I also liked the speeches by Matt Bomer, Billy Bob Thornton, Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Gina Rodriguez, J.K. Simmons, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and especially Kevin Spacey, who collected his first ever Golden Globe.

So those were my quick thoughts on the 72nd Golden Globe Awards. If you watched those, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section and keep an eye out for a special post Thursday ;) Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment