Monday, September 1, 2014

Film Guy Summer Movie Awards

Hello, Bloggers, since the summer movie season has officially come to a close, I figured that I'd give a rundown of my own special awards for the films that I saw this summer season. Here we go:

Worst Movie: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I didn't have sky-high expectations for this film, but I didn't expect to be such a jumbled mess. It does have nice visuals and a wonderful performance by Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn, but there just isn't much that is redeemable about this film that feels more like a trailer for the upcoming Sinister Six. It's kind of like how the upcoming Batman/Superman film will just feel like a trailer for Justice League, but that's another story.

Best Villain: Tilda Swinton in Snowpiercer

Every time Tilda Swinton came on screen in Snowpiercer, she just ate up the scenery. Not only was she playing a rather despicable villain, but she is just a treat to watch with her special accent and heavy makeup. Apparently, she is going to be submitted for Oscar consideration and I can certainly hope so.

Best Star To Show He's Still Got It: Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow

While I did enjoy Edge of Tomorrow, if there is one thing that I took away from it, it is that Tom Cruise's performance is a reminder of why he is a film star. Regardless of what you may think of him as a person, his talent and on-screen charisma still can't be denied.

Best Use of Music: Guardians of the Galaxy

When I went to go see Guardians in the theaters, I remember getting such a kick out of the 70's/80's soundtrack. It includes songs ranging from "Cherry Bomb" to "Hooked On A Feeling" to "I Want You Back" and I just found myself "hooked".

Best Motion Capture Performance: Toby Kebbell in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

While I went into Dawn expecting to be amazed by Andy Serkis, amazingly it was Toby Kebbell who stole the film as the villain Koba. Andy Serkis was great as Caesar, but Toby Kebbell was the true standout in my opinion as the manipulative yet chilling and tormented antagonist.

HM: Bradley Cooper in Guardians of the Galaxy, Andy Serkis in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Best Sequel: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Before I saw Boyhood, I thought this was the best film of the year. But I thought that it was the best sequel to come out this summer as well that really surpasses its predecessor.

HM: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Best Femme: Jennifer Lawrence in X-Men: Days of Future Past

J-Law delivers once again as the literally chameleonic Mystique. Lawrence was go badass as the lone ranger that she makes me wish that the potential Mystique film comes into fruition.

Best Film To Live Up To My Expectations (Sort Of): Godzilla

While I did enjoy Godzilla as a fun monster movie, I did have a few minor complaints. In particular, with the character development. But it was still a fun ride.

Best Film To Surpass My Expectations: Guardians of the Galaxy

Going into the film, I expected a fun summer flick. But what I got was the most fun I've had all summer. It has humor, action, a kicking soundtrack, and most of all, heart. It is a wonderful throwback to the actioners from the 70's and is a breath of fresh air in the midst of all the serious or quasi-serious superhero flicks nowadays. I still can't the song "Hooked On A Feeling" from the trailer out of my head, but I doubt I want to.

Best TV Movie: The Normal Heart

The Normal Heart was such a gut-wrencher that I was not prepared for. yet I absolutely loved it. It did almost make me cry a couple times, but it was able to give me perspective on the horrific AIDS disease and I believe that was the film's purpose: to make us open our eyes.

Best Movie: Boyhood

Surprisingly, the best film I've seen this summer was not an actioner. Ironically, this is the last film I saw this summer movie season, yet it ended that season on quite a high note.





No comments:

Post a Comment