Sunday, September 7, 2014

Oscars 2015: Best Actress (Updated)

Hello, Bloggers, it has just been updated that Julianne Moore might be sitting out on this year's Oscar race and potentially won't be in contention for Maps To The Stars. Since she was in my final five, I figured that just to be safe, I will do a quick update on my picks.


Amy Adams, Big Eyes
Jessica Chastain, The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby/A Most Violent Year
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon, Wild
Shailene Woodley, The Fault In Our Stars

So far, I have kept Amy Adams, Jessica Chastain, Rosamund Pike, and Reese Witherspoon. However, I picked Chastain for either Eleanor Rigby or A Most Violent Year since she could be contention for either. Although I could see them leaning towards the former rather than the latter. Usually in the Best Actress category, they nominate those that are either front and center in their films or at least a co-lead. For example, Amy Adams is in contention for Big Eyes, which is about Margaret Keane, who she plays. Rosamund Pike has Gone Girl, where she plays the "Gone Girl". Reese Witherspoon has Wild, which is practically a one-woman show and Jessica Chastain has The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby. She is Eleanor Rigby. Plus, Shailene Woodley has The Fault In Our Stars, which is about her character and her relationship with a fellow cancer patient. But, more onto Woodley. I feel that Woodley could possibly land a nomination because since Jennifer Lawrence has nothing in contention, they are going to want to recognize at least one young ingenue like how Rooney Mara was nominated for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo alongside much older players. Not only that, but Woodley did manage to make Hollywood quite a bit of money thanks to her two number one hits Divergent and Fault In Our Stars. So, that could be a factor. It worked for Sandra Bullock, Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Lawrence, and even Will Smith who scored wins and nominations for making Hollywood a boatload of dough and not just their performances. If she does get in, then that would be wonderful since I thought she got cruelly snubbed for her work in The Descendants. But there are some potential dark horses that could get in like Hilary Swank for The Homesman and Meryl Streep for Into The Woods. Although Hilary Swank already has two and her film has a smaller distributor and the potential "Streep fatigue" could set in. I would prefer that Meryl Streep doesn't get nominated just to allow some new blood into the category but I wouldn't be surprised if they did nominate her. I do think she is wonderful, I just think that they should shine a light on some newer faces.

Anyways, those are my updated predictions for the Best Actress category. They will more than likely change as the Oscar race continues. But until I continue my Oscar coverage, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment