Saturday, September 27, 2014

Trailer Talk #21: Big Eyes, Whiplash, A Most Violent Year, Horrible Bosses 2, The Boy Next Door, You're Not You


Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk. It's been a slow movie season so I haven't really been to the movies since I last saw Boyhood. But luckily that should change once I see Gone Girl when that comes out. Plus, I found some more trailers online to review for you folks. Let's take a look:

Big Eyes: First up is the trailer for the upcoming biopic Big Eyes, starring Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz. Now, when I first heard about this film, I was like "Eh, alright", since I like the two leads and it is directed by Tim Burton. Judging by the trailer, you wouldn't know it was a Tim Burton movie, yet while it is nice that he is trying to reinvent himself, I was still quite disappointed when I saw the trailer. The film is a potential Oscar player, yet nothing about it screams "Oscar-worthy" to me. It doesn't look horrible, by any means, but what I saw was incredibly disappointing. If it gains any awards traction, maybe I'll check it out, but if not, I'll look for other Oscar players coming out.



Whiplash: Next up is the Sundance hit Whiplash, starring breakout star Miles Tiller and J.K. Simmons. When I heard about this film, I didn't think much of it. But when I finally saw the trailer, I was sold pretty quickly. J.K. Simmons, whose work I always loved, seems like he is doing a really good job as the incredibly stern musical instructor. This film looks to be another awards player, so I might see it when it comes out so that when Oscar Nomination day comes around, I would have plenty of work done. Plus, the film does look very good and intriguing. Yet, I am not even a drummer. I hope to check it out in theaters.




A Most Violent Year: Next is the trailer for A Most Violent Year, starring Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain. Much like Big Eyes, when I first heard about this film, I was like "Eh, alright". But unlike Big Eyes, this is one I would see in theaters. I am a lover of dark thrillers so I am quite intrigued by this one. Like the first two trailers on this list, this one might be another Oscar player, so I could check it out for that reason and not just because of how intriguing it looks. Plus, I have become quite a fan of Jessica Chastain since her work in Tree of Life, Zero Dark Thirty, Mama, and even The Help, which is a film I didn't really like yet she was fantastic. This woman is destined for great things, much like Oscar Isaac, who I thought was so brilliant yet incredibly vile as the villain in Sucker Punch. The rest of the cast even includes David Oyelowo (The Butler) and Albert Brooks (Drive). I am slowly but surely sold on this film and might just check it out in theaters.



Horrible Bosses 2: Next is a film that certainly doesn't seem destined to be an awards player, the sequel Horrible Bosses 2. Now, I really liked the first one and when I heard they were making a second, I was pretty excited. I like how the original cast members are returning, with the exception of Colin Farrell (for obvious reasons for those that have seen the first). But some of the new cast members, including Chris Pine and Christoph Waltz, seem like they are doing quite good. Even though Waltz is playing yet another villain, that doesn't bug me too much since I love seeing him play the bad guy. I may check this one out in theaters.




The Boy Next Door: Next is the trailer for The Boy Next Door, starring Jennifer Lopez. When watching this trailer, I was just like, "WOW", as in "Wow, this looks terrible". It absolutely boggles me that J-Lo would even consider doing like this. I know that this woman can deliver when given good material, like The Cell and the film where she gives her best performance to date, Selena. But, judging by this trailer, I would've preferred that she read the script before reading the digits. Plus, the film looks very "Lifetime/soap opera-y". It feels like Fatal Attraction meets Abercrombie and Fitch. No way is this movie getting my 6 or 8 bucks.



You're Not You: Lastly is the trailer for You're Not You, starring Hilary Swank and Emmy Rossum. When I first heard about this film, I figured it'd be just another awards vehicle film for Hilary Swank since she tends to gear towards those types of films. Plus, she hasn't really been able to capitalize on her not one, but two Oscar wins. But after I saw the trailer, I wasn't overly impressed. Although, I do think that Emmy Rossum seems like she is doing a very nice job. I think she is an underrated talent and while this film might just be under everyone's radar, it still seems like a film where she really showcases her talents. Hilary Swank also seems like she is doing a nice job also. But this definitely doesn't seem like something I will see in theaters. Maybe I'll Redbox it.




Final Rating System:

Big Eyes: Meh
Whiplash: Eh, You've Peaked My Interest
A Most Violent Year: Eh, You've Peaked My Interest
Horrible Bosses 2: More Than Likely
The Boy Next Door: NO!
You're Not You: Rental

So, that was my latest episode of Trailer Talk. If you have seen any of the following trailers, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. My next episode will potentially be posted after I see Gone Girl. If not, then it'll be when I see new trailers online. Until then, thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment