Sunday, August 31, 2014

Indie Review: Under the Skin (2014)

                                       
                   
                            The Film's Inconsistent Drivel Just Really Got 'Under' My 'Skin'
                When it comes to film reviewing, it doesn't necessarily bother me when I have to review a bad film. I have just figured out that if there is one thing that irks me, it is whenever I have to discuss a film that doesn't give me anything to review, which makes my reviews shorter and don't allow me to discuss the craft of the acting and filmmaking and all of that wonderful stuff. Unfortunately, Under the Skin is that type of film.

                Ups:
          First off, I did think the cinematography was gorgeous and I loved the opening scene that is very Kubrickian. Plus, the scenery was beautiful and the score is very chilling and reminiscent of the score from The Shining. The good stuff ends there.

             Downs:
          My biggest issue is that while I was watching the film, I was left going "Wuh?". Seriously, I did not know what the hell was going on. The film is literally just Scarlett Johansson driving her van, seducing men and luring them to some black pond. Plus, you have shots of the beach and fog and close-ups of Johansson' face. That is all the film is. I get that the film is trying to be deep, but in order for a film to be deep, it needs to have a coherent plot and not just beautiful shots with an extravagant score. This is why 2001: A Space Odyssey is complete drek. That film is literally shots of space and about 30 to 45 minutes of an interesting character and that character is a freaking' computer! A COMPUTER! I am very much into artistic films, but watching this one was like watching paint dry.


             Consensus:
         Overall, Under the Skin is an incoherent bore that, even though I watched it for free, made me wish I had my money back. It has no plot, no character development, no resolution, NIL. This review may have been short, but that is because there wasn't anything for me to review.

           Would I Recommend It?:
         If you are a heterosexual male and want to watch Scarlett Johansson naked.

Grade: D-
           
         

No comments:

Post a Comment