Monday, August 25, 2014

66th Primetime Emmy Awards Live News Feed

Hello, Bloggers, for tonight's Primetime Emmys, I figured that, because I haven't done something like this before, I will do a live news feed to document my thoughts and reactions on the winners and such. I made my predictions on Gold Derby, so I will even say which one's I got wrong or right. Here we go:

Seth Meyers' monologue is good so far. I'm still a little nervous about the nominations or which category will be presented first.

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy is first. I am predicting Andre Braugher, although Tony Hale could repeat.

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Ty Burrell in Modern Family

He's great on the show. Thought his speech was pretty endearing.

Comedy Writing is next. I'm going to skip that one.

On second thought, I won't, since Louis C.K. won for Louie. Got that one right. Yeah! I liked Louis CK's work on Blue Jasmine and American Hustle. Love his speech. Short, sweet, and to the point!

Now, Jimmy Kimmel is presenting. Loving his jabs at Matthew McConaughey. Those are funny.

"Alright, alright, alright", already! LOL. Good one.

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Alison Janney in Mom

Got that one right! So far, so good.

Now that I think about it, if McConaughey wins tonight, it'll feel like he still can't escape his mainstream shirtless days. Even though he's reinvented himself as an actor, he'll still keep winning golden naked men.

We're back from commercial, finally.

Next is Directing in a Comedy Series. Not too worried about that one and they just announced the winners for Best Guest Actor/Actress in a Comedy Series: Jimmy Fallon for SNL and Uzo Aduba for Orange is the New Black. Got those two right.

Didn't even know Jodie Foster got nominated for the Emmy. That's pretty neat.

Anyways, Best Directing in a Comedy Series: Modern Family

Didn't really get that one right, but whatever.

Only three more Comedy categories left. They'll probably go with the Miniseries/TV Movie categories next. Those I am psyched for since The Normal Heart, Fargo, and AHS: Coven are nominees. I'm especially psyched for The Normal Heart. Very powerful story.

Ok, so Best Comedy Actor is next. Louis CK could get it, but I picked Jim Parsons just to be safe.

Best Actor in a Comedy Series: Jim Parsons in The Big Bang Theory

Bazinga!

First Jimmy Kimmel, now Fallon. He is quite funny.

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Veep

Picked her. Haven't seen the show, but I do really like her. I still constantly replay the "English Patient" episode of Seinfeld. 

Now, we're onto Best Reality Competition Program. All of whom I never watched.

Best Reality Competition: The Amazing Race

Picked The Voice, but whatever. I'm saving my worries for the Miniseries categories.

Ooh, Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries is next. Picked Julia Roberts for The Normal Heart and am rooting for her, but Alison Tolman could pull off the upset for Fargo. I'd even be happy with any of the American Horror Story gals winning (Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates, Frances Conroy).

My mistake. Now we're onto Best Writing in a Miniseries/TV Movie. Come on, Normal Heart!

Best Writing in a Miniseries/TV Movie: Sherlock

Wow! All I have to say. I'm not upset, just wow! But I do love a good upset. The Oscars could use more of those.

NOW, we're onto Best Supporting Actress. There we go!

Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries/TV Movie: Kathy Bates in AHS: Coven

Not a bad choice. Like I said, I was pulling for Julia Roberts, but Kathy Bates killed it on AHS, like she always does.

So far, The Normal Heart is 0-2, but it has 4 more categories to get to, so we'll see. I just hope it doesn't go home empty-handed.

Now, we're onto Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries/TV Movie. My heart is racing with this one.

Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries/TV Movie: Martin Freeman in Sherlock: The Last Vow

Damn it! As soon as Stephen Colbert said "Ma-", I had a small glimmer of hope that it would be Matt Bomer. Now, I am getting pissed. Matt Bomer got seriously robbed.

Can it win Best Director? I am not too optimistic, but we'll see.

Best Director in a Miniseries/TV Movie: Fargo

I was right. I think Fargo is pretty good, but now I am REALLY getting pissed. I blame Dallas Buyers Club since it was a film about AIDS that came out first and it pales in comparison to The Normal Heart. All Heart has left is both Best Actor and TV Movie.

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are next. Can't wait to see them present.

Best Actor in a Miniseries/TV Movie is next. Predicting Mark Ruffalo, but Billy Bob Thornton could take it.

Best Actor in a Miniseries/TV Movie: Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock: His Last Vow

I'm sure his band of "Cumberbabes" are happy about this, but I'm not. But that's only because The Normal Heart is losing. I feel like they are going by all the Miniseries/TV Movie categories on purpose just to piss me off. Sorry to whoever may potentially read this if I'm a little rough, but tough shit, it's my blog.

Just as a heads up, my frustrated feelings may carry through this live blog.

Best Actress in a Miniseries/TV Movie: Jessica Lange in AHS: Coven

Predicted Cicely Tyson and was hoping for Sarah Paulson, but it's still nice that AHS is getting plenty of love. Jessica Lange is really good on the show, so it's all good.

Hey, Weird Al is performing. This ought to be good! Freakin' love Weird Al. Was going to get up from the couch and have milk and cookies, but I'll wait until after.

Now, Best TV Miniseries. I'm thinking Fargo will take this.

Best Miniseries: Fargo

Big freaking surprise!

Now, I can drown my sorrows in a cup of milk and a few homemade peanut butter cookies.

Best TV Movie! Come on, Normal Heart!

Best TV Movie: The Normal Heart

YYYEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! Yes! Yes! Now I can go to bed and watch the rest of the show a happy man!
I was getting soooo scared this would be shut out Color Purple-style.

Oh, and Ryan Murphy: Very amazing speech!

Seriously, I can deal with a film like American Hustle getting shut out, but if Normal Heart ended up like The Color Purple, I would have been speechless.

Nice! Key and Peele are presenting. I loved those two on MadTV, which I miss.

They just ran through the Variety Emmys, which I haven't paid much attention to.

Now onto Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. I predicted Aaron Paul since Breaking Bad is closing and they're going to want to end the show on a high note.

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Aaron Paul in Breaking Bad

Like I said. They'll want to end the show on a high note.

Knew Robin Williams would be saved for last in the In Memoriam segment. I think Billy Crystal's tribute to him is very heartfelt and he is right, his light will continue to shine on us forever. He is a legend in the comedy world that never failed to make us laugh.

Best Directing of a Drama Series: True Detective

Predicted that because it was the odds-on favorite.

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Anna Gunn in Breaking Bad

Predicted her to win and I was actually quite relieved just because Maggie Smith didn't. Seriously, she never goes to those things so it'd be kind of pointless to always award her.

Best Writing in a Drama Series: Breaking Bad

Should I have to guess what'll win Best Drama Series?

I could listen to Viola Davis read a phone book. Seriously.

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Julianna Marguiles in The Good Wife

Got that one wrong. Thought Robin Wright would get it but Marguiles is a good actress, so I have no complaints.

So, Best Actor in a Drama Series might be next. I feel it's Cranston vs. McConaughey. I worry that if McConaughey wins, people will just get sick of him winning and say "Alright, alright, alright", already. But we shall see.

Best Actor in a Drama Series: Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad

Did I mention that they want to end the show on a high note?

Now the final two biggies. First, Best Comedy Series.

Best Comedy Series: Modern Family

Wow! I predicted Orange Is The New Black, but I do like Modern Family. Pretty wonderful show.

And.........

Best Drama Series: Breaking Bad

Picked this as my Super Bet on my Gold Derby predictions. Thrilled I got this one right!

That does it for me for this evening. Overall, I am somewhat thrilled with the results (Glad The Normal Heart won the big one) and thought it was neat there were some surprises. Plus, I thought Seth Meyers was a nice host. This is Matt St. Clair of Film Guy Reviews, signing off!





















No comments:

Post a Comment