Sunday, March 3, 2013

Review: The Silver Linings Playbook




                                        Quite A 'Silver Lining' To Be Found With This Film

                            I have seen a plenty of moving films last year, but not many of them have moved me as much as The Silver Linings Playbook. A movie that I hoped will inspire other people to find their silver lining like I have.

                            Story:
                         Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper) was just released from a mental hospital where he was treated for bipolar disorder and he has lost everything: His wife, his job, and his house. Now he is forced to move back in with his parents (Robert DeNiro, Jacki Weaver), and he meets a recently widowed woman named Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) who has a mental problem of her own. Tiffany offers to help Pat reconnect with his ex-wife, only if he'll do something for her in return. Along the way, Pat's father hopes that his son shares his love for the Philadelphia Eagles.

                          What I Liked About It:
                        First off, I absolutely loved the story, as well as the message that the film sends. Even though I'm not a Philadelphia Eagles fan, I thought it was interesting how they managed to weave them into the story. Plus, I loved how even though the film is marketed as a comedy, it manages to have heavy dramatic elements pushing it forward without it being too depressing.

                       Another thing I loved was the acting. But the two actors that really stood out are Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Bradley Cooper delivers the best performance of his career as Pat, and Jennifer Lawrence truly deserved her Oscar win for her performance. Before I went to see this film, I knew that Lawrence was a fantastic actress, but she just completely blew me away in this. Robert DeNiro and Jacki Weaver also turn in solid supporting performances, DeNiro especially, as he is in my favorite scene in the entire film, where he reminds Pat to "seize the moment". Though one actor that really surprised me was Chris Tucker. He delivers a solid performance as well, like every actor in this film.

                        What I Didn't Like About It:
                      Honestly, there's not much that I hated about this movie. The storyline was flawless, the acting was fantastic, the length was fine, the direction was superb, and the writing was terrific. So, all in all, this is a flawless film.

                        Consensus:
                      Overall, The Silver Linings Playbook is a very quirky, yet emotionally compelling film that I feel will inspire those who watch it to find their silver lining. The film shows us that once you stay positive and surround yourself with those that care about you, your silver lining will come true.

Rating: 5/5
                    

                     
                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment