Saturday, March 9, 2013

Review: Lincoln




                                                         'Lincoln' Is A Modest Achievement

                    While Lincoln wasn't necessarily as phenomenal as it's hyped up to be, it's still pretty good. It's slightly overrated, but it doesn't mean it's bad.

                        Story:
                    Lincoln is about the 16th President Abraham Lincoln (Daniel Day-Lewis), and his efforts to pass the Thirteenth Amendment to abolish slavery over the course of the last four months of his life.

                       What I Liked About It:
                    First and foremost, I did like Daniel Day-Lewis' portrayal of Abe Lincoln. Within the first twenty minutes, he just had me believe that he was Lincoln, probably because of how he looks a lot like Lincoln. Plus, he delivered a superb performance. In my opinion, the high points in the film were the scenes between him and Sally Field, who plays Mary Todd Lincoln.

                    Another thing I liked about this film was how it has you appreciate what Abe Lincoln did for the slaves. Just how he fought hard to free them and never backed down. It really displays his good-hearted nature and shows why he is one of the greatest presidents in history.

                      What I Didn't Like About It:
                    While the film certainly was really good, my biggest problem with it was that I feel like it was just made to win awards. It was released around awards season, has A-listers behind it, and is a biopic, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that it was nominated for several Oscars. I mean, why watch a film adaptation and pay $7.50 when they have several books, and TV documentaries that you can watch for free dealing with the same story?

                     Consensus:
                    Aside from the fact that Lincoln is very awards-savvy, there is nothing else I hate about it. I loved the stylistic direction from Steven Spielberg, the stellar performances from the cast, and the terrific portrait of a true American icon and hero.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment