Sunday, March 3, 2013

Review: Moonrise Kingdom




                                Moonrise Kingdom: Where Style Resides And No Substance

                     Before I watched this film, I wanted to see it for a few reasons. One: the cast, which includes such talented actors as Edward Norton, Frances McDormand, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Bruce Willis, and Jason Schwartzman. Two: The positive reviews that I've read. But I guess sometimes hype can trick you, because this movie sucked, and I mean, SUCKED.

                     Story:
                   Moonrise Kingdom is set in a New England town and is about two young kids who decide to runaway to a remote island, which they name Moonrise Kingdom. Once they run off together, that's when the girl's parents, the boy's scoutmaster and a policeman form a search party as they set off to find them.

                    What I Liked About It:
                  Now, this section is gonna be pretty empty because I can't think of anything that I could've liked about this film. I mean, not even any of the lead actors could save it. Not even Edward Norton and Frances McDormand, who are some of my favorite actors, and it's quite sad to see their talents wasted in this stylized garbage.

                    What I Didn't Like About It:
                  Where do I begin here? The two kid actors in this film had no chemistry. It has about a 90-minute run time, but feels like forever. It's made out to be quirky and witty, but there's no humor to be found. From the first 20-30 minutes, I just wanted it to be over, and once it got to 70 minutes, I actually shut it off, but eventually, I put it back on and made it through to the end, even though I didn't want to.

                    Consensus:
                  Moonrise Kingdom is an unimaginative, ungodly boring, overrated mess that I hope to just forget. It's simply a high school diarama posing as a feature film. Just a big, fat nothing, and I'm happier than a pig in mud that I didn't pay to see this in theaters.

Rating: 0/5

1 comment:

  1. thanks for saving me from wasting my time! I really like your conclusion:
    " Moonrise Kingdom is an unimaginative, ungodly boring, overrated mess that I hope to just forget."

    ReplyDelete