Friday, March 8, 2013

Review: Argo



                                                        'Argo': Does It Earn Best Picture?

                                 As I said in my oscar winners reactions post, I said I would do a review for Argo once I've seen it. Well folks, I finally saw it and here's my review. Did it really deserve the Best Picture Oscar? Let's find out.

                                Story:
                              Argo is a based on a true story set during a revolutionary Iranian crisis in the 1970's where the U.S. embassy was held hostage and six people managed to escape and hide in the Canadian embassy. A CIA agent named Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck) then decides to work with Hollywood producers to create a fake movie and create a cover story by having these escapees pretend they are a Canadian film crew.

                              What I Liked About It:
                            Normally in my reviews, I would give my opinion in the beginning, but because of the awards hype surrounding this movie and because it's a thriller, I figured I'd add a little suspense to it.

                       So, did I like the movie? No, I LOVED it. I loved the direction, I loved the nostalgic 70's vibe, as well as the acting, especially from Alan Arkin, who steals the movie as hard-nosed movie producer Lester Siegel and rightfully earned his Best Supporting Actor nomination. He even provides the best line in the movie (Argo f**k yourself!)

                       Another thing I loved was how it blended different genres. It manages to weave in some comedic moments while maintaining tension-filled suspense and drama. During the suspenseful scenes, I really found myself on edge.

                     But, did this movie really deserve Best Picture? I believe so. It manages to be entertaining while carrying a subliminal message about the risks that the CIA takes for everyday people, as well as a bond forming between two nations: U.S. and Canada. So, all in all, I think it deserved Best Picture.

                           What I Didn't Like About It:
                           Nothing.

                           Consensus:
                     Overall, Argo is a well-crafted and powerful thriller that deserves all the praise it is getting. While Ben Affleck may have been snubbed for Best Director, he still did a marvelous job with the direction, as well as his acting. This one is highly recommended!

Rating: 5/5

1 comment: