Sunday, July 10, 2016

Topic Of The Day: The Female "Ghostbusters" Backlash


Now that the female Ghostbusters reboot is hitting theaters this Friday, I wanted to finally offer my own insight on the hatred and bigotry thrown at it since the first trailer came out.

Before I go any further, I just want to say that I'm going to do my best to be as firm and calm as I possibly can because the backlash thrown at it really upset me and I will certainly go into why.

I love the original Ghostbusters. I think it's a classic and even if the updated version delivers, it can't top the original because I'm a believer that no matter how many sequels or reboots you do to a classic, nothing ever beats the original. When I found out there would be an all-female version and who would be cast, I was excited because a classic was being revived and they got amazing people for the job. I love all four actresses that are starring and I'm also a huge fan of director Paul Feig. He gave us Bridesmaids, The Heat, and Spy. So I know that it's in good hands.

But for those of you who are hating on it simply because it's an all-female version, I have a simple solution for you: If you're hating on it, just don't go see it! Don't go see it or 0you can go and try to keep an open mind. But if you don't want to do the latter, just don't go. The director and cast are trying to make a great and entertaining film for you all and if it's not causing any harm to your own life, then why are you spewing out all this anger?

Now if you're saying it looks bad because it looks bad, then fine. Understandable. But just don't say it looks bad only because it's all girls because you're only causing harm to yourself.

Also, in all the superhero movies that come out, we tend to always get white dudes saving the Earth and nobody ever seems to have an aneurysm over that, saying "We're tired of always seeing white dudes saving the Earth or seeing Iron Man in every Marvel movie."

Lastly, I just want to say that we're having a lot of problems going on right now in our country. The worst mass shooting in U.S. history took place last month, the issue of police brutality is worsening, and a lot of us are simply trying to get pay the bills and keep our heads above water. All of those problems are far, FAR more serious than an all-female version of Ghostbusters, which isn't meaning to cause any harm, coming out.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let my feelings about the Ghostbusters backlash out in the open. I would love to hear about your thoughts in the comments section (Please be kind!). Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment