Thursday, July 14, 2016

Oscar Watch: Rules Don't Apply (2016)


Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of my Oscar Watch where I discuss trailers for upcoming Oscar contenders. For this post, I will discuss a trailer for a film that I personally don't have too much faith in but could still very well be something I'm underestimating. That film is the Howard Hughes biopic Rules Don't Apply directed by and starring Warren Beatty. You can click on the link to the trailer here.

When watching this trailer, I get vibes of Trumbo 2.0. A film that some of us think Hollywood salivates over because it's a film about Hollywood only for it to be a serious underperformer on Nomination Day. I do think that like Trumbo, it'll be something that the SAG Awards will salivate over because of its large and starry cast: Warren Beatty, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Matthew Broderick, Lily Collins, Alden Ehrenreich, Candice Bergen, Ed Harris, etc..

I don't see this doing well commercially though because movies about Hollywood simply don't do that well. Hardly anybody saw Trumbo or even Hail, Caesar! and that film had stars like Channing Tatum and Scarlett Johansson. This one, however, doesn't have names that are particularly big draws. Maybe having Alden Ehrenreich, who is playing young Han Solo, will attract some interest. But I doubt that it'll play like gangbusters with audiences.

I personally don't have too much interest in this. I like the talent involved but it really does feel like Trumbo 2.0. The Academy will probably like it better than I will because it's about Hollywood, is directed by Hollywood royalty, and has a very starry, awards-friendly cast. But with the Academy inviting younger and more diverse voters, they might not veer too much into tradition. We shall see.

What do you guys think? Do you think it looks like a legitimate Oscar contender and do you think it looks like a great film in general? Please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment